As the license was not renewed, the game had to shut down.
An MMORPG which I beta tested but didn't play. In fact, I still have the shrink-wrapped box.
- Officially titled Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
World of Warcraft has grown tedious. The character advancement is limited, and the gameplay is repetitive. There is no excitement with "respeccing" and raiding is tedious to organize and is an inconsistent experience.
They've completely butchered regular questing and solo-play. There is no real end-game fun to be had..
Everyone else is waiting around hesitantly for some other choice to come up. Warhammer Online might be it.
- Paul Barnett explains what is Warhammer Online about -- From about May 2006.
- Warhammer Online E3 2006 gameswelt.de reportage
- Warhammer Online Vid -- An interview in three parts, from around May 2007.
Warhammer Online Interview:Paul Barnett & Jeff Hickman -- Probably from about July 22, 2007
Warhammer Online: IGN Interview -- From about July 22, 2007
Game Questions ∞
- Combat System
- Magic System
- PVP System
- Quest System
- Customer Service
I asked via their feedback form:
- How can I inspect someone to know their specialties?
- How can one ask for group members with specific roles / specialties?
- How are game patches handled? Is there a "patch day" concept?
- How is "muling" prevented?
- Is there user-programming?
- Are character renames allowed?
- Are there rules in place to avoid non-RP names?
- What systems are in place to report players who are jerks/rule-breaking/etc?
- Is there a map-noting system? Can players share notes? I can't remember where anything is ever, so this is helpful.
Can items in the tome be marked as "unread"?
2016-12-28 - I don't know, and it doesn't look like, I checked for responses.
- What are the ACTUAL specifics of character advancement? I hear all kinds of terms being thrown around, but it's not laid out properly. There seem to be character levels, but is there a level cap?
- Is there a concept of equipment? I see armour dyes, but there's no proper info.
- How is "zoning" handled? Are there load screens?
Are there "invisible walls" in the game? How expansive is the range of movement?
Game Notes ∞
Check out this great post on mechanics.
PvP and RvR ∞
(PvP-centric, punishes anti-PvP play)
Warhammer Online Production Video Podcast # 21 -- RvR Campaign]
- Endgame looks like it's entirely PvP-centric and punishes non-PvP players. There is a hint at PvE content helping at some stages, but it looks like they're entirely locked out from endgame, as they could not enter into those PvP event areas.
PVP seems to be "optional" but players appear to be punished for avoiding PvP through more and more restrictive play sub-zones, and a general reduction in the number of quests available to them because they won't go into PvP sub-zones.
- XP, gold and gear can be gained entirely by PvP or entirely by PvE.
- Cannot loot other players.
- entering an RvR area has a 10 second timer to get flagged. Leaving the area gives a countdown timer to unflag, so it's not possible to hit-and-run across borders.
2007?-12 herald grab bag - Higher tiers can enter into lower tier pvp areas and not be attacked by lower tiers. Lower tier can go into higher tiers and they ARE attackable by the higher tiers.
- 2008-07-03 - WAR Production Video Podcast #20 - Standards Banners give PvP bonuses, leading to armor etc. PvP-centric. =/
Warhammer Online Production Video Podcast #7- Quests -- Explains tiers, chapters, etc. and how quests help story progression.
- when any morale ability is used, ALL morale is lost and not just the amount needed for that morale ability rank.
- standard bearers take 10 seconds to take out or put away a standard. They can do this while moving.
- taking a standard takes 15 seconds.
you are usually dismounted when entering combat
2007?-12 herald grab bag - Death has no xp loss, but maybe some other kind of loss. No corpse running. Spawn points like a camp or graveyard.
Warhammer Online Production Video Podcast # 10 - Archetypes -- A fair number of class/race choices.
- Focuses on the common roles, but healers are said to also be dps-capable.
- Variation seems to be done through tactics-loading.
- Character development is meant to be overwhelmingly expansive, to force character variation.
- Has bunches of meters to improve, for kinds of reputation for various npcs.. seems to be very expansive.
- 2007?-12 herald grab bag - Cannot make two characters on one server which are both of opposing sides.
2007-12 herald grab bag - There will be a "respec" concept.
Interface / Tome of Knowledge ∞
- The tome of knowledge can be read offline!
- The interface can be customized
- healers can target through another interface to directly select people for healing..
- dual-targetting, to have a defensive and offensive target both selected at the same time.
- 2007?-10 herald grab bag - Third-person view, scroll in to get first-person.
2007-11 herald grab bag - There will be an interface development community that's encouraged. So some kind of interface change(s) can be customized and shared.
- Seems to have some kill-grinding
Seems to have the same area-event repeating continuously.
- It is said to have a good guilding system. No information has been released to my knowledge.
- A very good built-in guild calendar, including member signups for events.
American and European players will be held on separate servers.
- It looks like endgame is about items and a renown-grind..
2007?-10 herald grab bag - level 40 cap
- No level caps on items
- unsure about set bonuses
bop and boe might be done, not sure
Macros will exist
- no multiple-action macros I hear..
- 1:40 -- No grinding to level skill.
- 2:00 -- Not recipe-based.
- 3:00 -- Separate crafting and gathering skills.
- 3:20 -- Started in the second act of gameplay.
- 3:30 -- Can switch, but lose all previous skills.
- 3:55 -- Cultivation isn't area-dependent.
- 5:25 -- Magical salvaging = disenchanting.
- 5:55 -- Can choose what magical essence to extract from an item.
- 6:35 -- Separate scavenging and butchering skills for intelligent and non-intelligent mobs.
9:20 -- Potion-making is done through experimentation.
- It looks like this'll be spoiled by guides.
- I hope this is "discovered" and then put in one's tome of knowledge so it's selectable.
9:45 -- Failed potion-making doesn't ruin the ingredients. That's very strange from a realism perspective, but it's also very forgiving for players.
- when crafting, there's no randomness associated with "might succeed" attempts
some crafting ingredients might actually be destroyed. Usually this is the storebought stuff.
Banking and Muling ∞
- There is a bank
- 2007-11 herald grab bag - Maybe 10 characters per account.
Muling and multiple accounts is not known. It looks like it might be possible to drop items..
- Stuff you don't train up won't be totally useless to you later in life
- There is an auction
2007-01 herald grab bag - They will have an xml feed or some such which will give data.