This topic is dead! It'll stay dead. Vanilla DOS and the internet just don't go well together. Linux with DOSEMU, a VMWare solution, or whatever, would allow a contemporary networking experience while still allowing DOS compatibility.
DOS and networking has some serious issues, namely the lack of memory it leaves. Some DOS-alternates help alleviate this though.
Resources: DOS and Networking / The Internet ∞
This is all very roughly sorted, and some links are bound to be broken!
HOWTOs and documentation ∞
- Connection with a DOS-system
- Networking MS-DOS PC's
- Etherboot with DOS
- Wizard57M's DOS Internet Page
- SAMBA Project Documentation
- Citilink FAQ - Slip PPP -- DOS - 1 of 3
- http://www.komaromi.com/dos_email/ -- Setting up Email in DOS with today's ISP using a dialup PPP TCP/IP connection
Networking-specific applications, and archives ∞
- IBM LAN Client
- LANtastic - commercial, win9x+
- Crynwr Software -- There are some DOS packet drivers.
- TCP/IP for MS-DOS with WATTCP
- www.simtel.net: MS-DOS / Programs for use on Local Area Networks
- Trumpet - Internet Tools for DOS
- MS - Updated NET.EXE Corrects Basic Redirector Truncating Problem - Q129164
- MS Lanman client
- Dos archive - includes lanmanager
- IBM Networking Support - auto 16/4
- mknbi - make network bootable image
- Compaq's PATHWORKS
- DOS networking advice
Internet-related software ∞
- Tvdog's Internet Archive
http://dosprograms.info.tt/ -- Interesting DOS programs
- Net-Tamer -- Web browser, FTP client, telnet, IRC (for registered users)
Agent Upload (commercial)
- Agent Upload has most major security and network protocols, "built-in" including; FTP, PPP, TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, CHAP, PAP, KAOS Engine Encryption, Static or Dynamic IP Addressing, URL to IP address conversion (DNS look-up), and you don't even need a separate "dialer", because that is also "built-in".
- Net-Tamer, INC. can provide similar applications for POP3, SMTP, and IMAP4 email protcols. Special programs for HTTP (WWW), TELNET, or NNTP (USENET) are also available.
- sshdos - SSH client for DOS
- Arachne - DOS Browser. Project was halted.
- http://users.ohiohills.com/fmacall/#doslynx -- A new developer pushed DosLynx even further.
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/doslynx.htm -- The old site