The main activity is viewing websites.
- Security > Computer security > Internet security
- /tag/websites (live)
IA.BAK for backing up the internet.
- Yes, back up all the things.
- Software > /tag/internet-software (live)
- Web servers
- Bundled Server Software
- Valid URL characters
- DOS > DOS networking and the internet
- Explaining the internet to seniors
- Absorbing thousands of old bookmarks
Truth on the internet.
- 1 Connecting to the internet / protocols
- 2 Connection information
- 3 Search engines
- 4 Impersonal
- 5 Personal
- 6 Reverse image searching
- 7 Web page / Website authoring
- 8 Other stuff
- 9 2002-08-31 - Whitelisting ideas
- 10 Random stuff
Connecting to the internet / protocols ∞
Connection information ∞
Local (for yourself) ∞
- dslreports speed testing
- Whoami -- Online Information, Browser Headers, DNS, Whois, ISP
- Web browser fingerprinting
- CanYouSeeMe.org -- Open Port Check Tool
Global (for others) ∞
- Verify Global Accessibility Without Leaving Your Desk
- whois (site administration/ownership)
Search engines ∞
- https://google.com/ (Google)
- https://www.bing.com/ (Microsoft)
Using alternate and meta search engines is one way to be one step away from untrusted search engines.
However, it still comes down to trusting that search engine. Disabling referrers, or having a toggle for that feature, helps not leak information to the destination site, but everything is still tracked at the governmental (USA), ISP and search engine level. Keep in mind your browser may keep history, so a compromised computer can fetch that data too.
Notable websites ∞
- Internet Archive has many public-domain documents.
Wikipedia is a fundamentally-untrustworthy social encyclopedia.
See also Media and community
Website archiving ∞
Websites which keep backups of websites.
Domain names ∞
Forward spam to
firstname.lastname@example.org, and it will pretend to be a customer to waste their time.
- Requires a phone number with texting capability.
- an old note said: Webmail-only. Their pop3 stuff is for-pay or for-Windows.
- Requires a phone number, I believe also one with texting capability.
- Working with ICQ (= AOL)
- Russian website though. =/
- (Microsoft) https://live.com/
Does anyone know of a way that I can set up a web interface to my mailbox so I can check my mail via the web while on the road?
Disposable email ∞
Media and community ∞
Image, video and text hosting, communications platforms, media search websites.
- https://lbry.io/ -- A free, open, and community-run digital marketplace.
- https://maidsafe.net/ -- Autonomous Data Network
- Steemit like front-end (Busy), a twitter-like front-end (Zappl), a youtube alternative (dTube), a soundcloud alternative (dSound), a streaming Steem (dLive?), a front-end for people to create even more stuff (Utopian), a token system to incentivise the creation of stuff (SMT)... and so it goes on. -- @nanzo-scoop
Your website ∞
Build links to external websites, where a user can click them and the destination website does not know the user surfed there from you.
Old media website notes ∞
Notes from 2011-10-02
Reverse image searching ∞
Provide a picture and find others like it, and hopefully where it originated.
TODO - This will be a mini-project at some point.
- 2018-03-06 - Nothing loads.
Google has something somewhere, but I'm unable to find it as of 2018-03-06.. the interface changed recently.
https://yandex.ru/images/ - has something somewhere.
Web page / Website authoring ∞
Instead of writing things by hand.
See About this website for what it uses.
- WordPress is popular.
Other stuff ∞
- URL Decoder is useful for removing tracking junk from links in YouTube video descriptions.
2002-08-31 - Whitelisting ideas ∞
Cookies and images - Ban all except those from a user-provided list.
In a web browser or an email client.
Also whitelist emails, so only those in ones email addressbook are allowed through. This may be doable in Claws Mail, but I'm unsure.
Linux note: A professor created a "grey list". For unknown addresses, the server does not yet accept emails, so they float around a bit (a mechanic of email) and much spam would be eliminated this way. Then it would reply to email addresses and give a password. Some replies are never received, eliminating more bots. A human would use it the email and then it would deliver the original mail.