It's an official project by Ubuntu to maintain something lighter.
It works well, and I've had a significant history with it.
- 2021-02-16 - lubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64 on my Dell Inspiron 11 3180 via ventoy-1.0.35 LiveUSB with persistence.
- 2021-02-14 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64 on my Dell Inspiron 11 3180 via ventoy-1.0.35 LiveUSB with persistence.
- 2019-02-25 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-i386 on my Dell Inspiron 11 3180
- 2019-02-24 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64 on my Dell Inspiron 11 3180
- Fail - Corrupts SD cards.
- 1 Quick overview
- 2 2021-02-16 - lubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64
- 3 2021-02-14 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64
- 4 2019-02-25 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-i386
- 5 2019-02-24 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64
- 6 2019-02-19 - 18.10 desktop i386 "cosmic"
- 7 Usage and troubleshooting
Quick overview ∞
Fails because of
Weak because of
- .. being Ubuntu. There is some uncomfortableness I've had with it, which I can't put my finger on.
Strong because of
- Ease of use, magical tools.
- Easy and frequent updating.
- Quick and usually-easy solutions to every problem.
2021-02-16 - lubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64 ∞
- Via ventoy-1.0.35
control-cto skip the filesystem check takes a long time to get noticed.
- The touchpad works by default.
- Making the power button suspend instead of power off
Works flawlessly, and can see/unlock an encrypted partition.
- If one is unlocked, rebooting will take a very long time.
2021-02-14 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64 ∞
- Persistence works.
- Fix nonfunctional touchpad in Lubuntu 18.10 / Devuan 3.1.0
2019-02-25 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-i386 ∞
- After coming out of suspend, XScreenSaver briefly shows the screen before it locks it. Pathetic.
- How do I change the hotkey for QTerminal from
control-alt-t? It's not in the usual list of hotkeys.
- The trackpad works again.
- For some reason, it corrupts SD cards, but if it's NTFS I can attempt and re-attempt to mount it and eventually it'll repair the card.
- Fixing a stuck mouse in Lubuntu 18.10
2019-02-24 - lubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64 ∞
I used Rufus-3.4p
- login is
lubuntuwith an empty password
I don't know how to make it re-use an existing partition, but apparently it can erase a disk and use it as encrypted without LVM, if I provide a password.
Boots into a GRUB prompt ∞
It just boots into a GRUB prompt. What the fuck, don't these people test their own stuff?
What I attempted:
- manually-unlock dm-crypt
- chroot into it
- Wait.. the touchpad stopped working..
Well, this didn't work.
- Rebooting into the USB stick, the touchpad still didn't work.
- I booted into the Dell diagnostics utility and the mouse works there.
Lubuntu no longer recognizes the trackpad.. it did when I first installed, because I needed to use it to set up wireless.
2019-02-19 - 18.10 desktop i386 "cosmic" ∞
- Reproducibly corrupts SD cards.
- It should suspend when I press the power button.
When trying to shutdown, it just hangs waiting on some task or other. I have to hold down
control-alt-deleteuntil it sees that a few times and respects that request.
Usage and troubleshooting ∞
Determining version ∞
No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS Release: 14.04 Codename: trusty
Fixing a stuck mouse in Lubuntu 18.10 ∞
sudo rmmod i2c_hid hid_generic hid_multitouch sudo modprobe i2c_hid hid_generic hid_multitouch
Making the power button suspend instead of power off ∞
sudo featherpad /etc/systemd/logind.conf
Make these changes:
HandlePowerKey=suspend HandleSuspendKey=suspend HandleHibernateKey=suspend
- You may also want to look at the
This may also fix an issue where shutting down takes a while.
Fix nonfunctional touchpad in Lubuntu 18.10 / Devuan 3.1.0 ∞
#!/usr/bin/env sh # Fix the touchpad on the laptop. # It probably doesn't exist already. \sudo \echo 'options psmouse proto=imps' >> /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf \sudo \modprobe --remove psmouse \sudo \modprobe psmouse # It should work immediately.