TODO - add my offline notes
A console IRC client.
- 2014-05-21 - 0.4.2 on Lubuntu 14.04
- 2010-09-26 - 0.2.6.2 on Unity Linux 2010.1 32bit
- 2010-09-04 - 0.3.3 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2010-04-19 - 0.3.1.1 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2010-01-06 - 0.3.0 on Unity Linux 64bit-beta2
- 2010-01-02 - 0.3.0 on Unity Linux 64bit beta1
- 2010-01-01 - 0.3.0 on Unity Linux 64bit-beta1
- Also recently tested on 0.99-alpha1.
- 2009-07-16 - 0.2.6.2 on Slackware 12.2 vanilla.
- 1 Notes
- 2 2014-05-21 - 0.4.2
- 3 2010-09-26 - 0.2.6.2
- 4 2010-09-04 - 0.3.3
- 5 2010-04-19 - 0.3.1.1
- 6 2010-01-06 - 0.3.0
- 7 2010-01-02 - 0.3.0
- 8 2010-01-01 - 0.3.0
- 9 2009-08-12 - 0.2.6.2
- 10 2009-07-16 - 0.2.6.2
- 11 2009-04-30 - 0.2.7-devel 30/04/2009 06:43
- 12 2009-04-26+ - 0.2.6.2
From 2015-03-26 or earlier.
- Find old config? Isn't all that handled by my wiki notes?
I can't use IRC until I can proxy and protect my IP.
2014-05-21 - 0.4.2 ∞
Seems to work very well.
2010-09-26 - 0.2.6.2 ∞
Working just fine.
2010-09-04 - 0.3.3 ∞
Same shit, I'm not even bothering to look things up. For simplicity I'm going back to 0.2.6.2.
2010-04-19 - 0.3.1.1 ∞
I have no clue how to connect. The inline and online documentation don't help. I went back to the 0.2.x series..
2010-01-06 - 0.3.0 ∞
wget weechat.org/files/src/weechat-0.3.0.tar.bz2 tar -xvvzf weechat-0.3.0.tar.bz2 cd weechat-0.3.0 su smart install lib64aspell-devel lib64ncursesw-devel lib64gnutls-devel lib64lua-devel perl-devel ruby-devel lib64tcl-devel ./configure make make install
lib64python-develdoesn't provide the python headers. I still get:
ImportError: No module named distutils.sysconfig
The key bindings for
End are not working, I had to update them to:
/key bind meta-OH /input move_beginning_of_line /key bind meta-OF /input move_end_of_line
2010-01-02 - 0.3.0 ∞
Mentioned in 2010-01-02 random stuff.
I got WeeChat 0.3.0 running, and I can be found on IRC again. They made more drastic changes in this release than I thought they would, and I needed to rediscover the way to do all sorts of things. Once again, documentation could have been done better in this case, because it was non-obvious on how I would change hotkeys.
All the plugins have been outdated now that their internal engine has been changed, but there's still a good list to go through. For unknown reasons I can't get Python compiled in.. which is a complete pain since the good plugins will be in Python.
2010-01-01 - 0.3.0 ∞
wget weechat.org/files/src/weechat-0.3.0.tar.bz2 tar -xvvzf weechat-0.3.0.tar.bz2 cd weechat-0.3.0 su smart install lib64aspell-devel lib64ncursesw-devel lib64lua-devel perl-devel ruby-devel lib64tcl-devel ./configure make make install
lib64gtk+-develcan be installed if you want something slightly more graphical. If so, run it with
- I'm not installing asciidoc since I don't have source-highlight
- Not exploring jabber support
Not exploring direct connect
I have not been able to get python to work even though I installed
lib64python-devel. Reinstalling Python and it has changed nothing. I'm not going to bother to troubleshoot right now, but I’ll have to if I want to get Python scripts running.
checking for python... /usr/bin/python Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> ImportError: No module named distutils.sysconfig checking for Python header files... configure: WARNING: *** Python header files couldn't be found on your system. *** Try to install them with your software package manager. *** WeeChat will be built without Python support.
weechat-curses works just fine. Basic usage:
/connect freenode /nick <username> /msg nickserv <yourpass> /join #channelname
- looks like everything's been changed.. sigh
- How do I add a server?
- How do I do autoconnect?
- How do I automatically message nickserv?
How do I change hotkeys? The documentation is inhuman, and the previous method doesn't work even though the documentation hasn't changed..
- Key bindings
/key bind ctrl-C /input delete_line # doesn't seem to really work: /key bind ctrl-V /input clipboard_paste # alt-left/right /key bind meta2-1;3D /buffer -1 /key bind meta2-1;3C /buffer +1 # control-left/right /key bind meta2-1;5D /input move_previous_word /key bind meta2-1;5C /input move_next_word # control-delete /key bind meta2-3;5~ /input delete_next_word # alt-backspace /key bind meta-ctrl-? /input delete_previous_word # control-backspace /key bind ctrl-H /input delete_previous_word # control-/ /key bind control-_ /input search_text # control-pageup/pagedown, alt-pageup/pagedown # note: use control-shift pageup/down if you want to scroll back in [[xterm]] to see the terminal history from before you launched weechat. /key bind meta2-5;5~ /window page_up /key bind meta2-6;5~ /window page_down /key bind meta2-5;3~ /window page_up /key bind meta2-6;3~ /window page_down # home/end /key bind meta2-H /input move_beginning_of_line /key bind meta2-F /input move_end_of_line
- Plugins tested
beep.pl Speaker beep on highlight/private msg.
- Plugins lost
not updated yet..
2009-08-12 - 0.2.6.2 ∞
Works just fine from source.
can I load the past history for each channel? I want to get it back into my history list if I restart..
2009-07-16 - 0.2.6.2 ∞
I just unpacked it and did a
./configure && make && make install
.. and it worked.
2009-04-30 - 0.2.7-devel 30/04/2009 06:43 ∞
New plugin API. Breaks old plugins. =(
This time I decided to also include more dependencies so that I can get more plugins working.
apt-get install libaspell15-devel libjabberd0-devel perl-devel liblua-devel libtcl8.4-devel libgnutls-devel
I don't know what these are:
perl-devel didn't install before? Odd.
apt-get install perl-devel libtcl8.4-devel docbook-utils
I don't have
libiksemel so I'll ignore that one. Jabber support would be sweet though! Maybe later if there's a reason I can get it from https://github.com/meduketto/iksemel [ 2 ] was http://code.google.com/p/iksemel/
*** Docbook XSL files not found *** WeeChat will be built without documentation. *** Try ./configure --with-doc-xsl-prefix=DIR if you have DIR/html/chunk.xsl file
docbook-style-xsl is installed, so I don't know how to deal with this. Whatever.
notify.py (0.0.2.0, 2009-04-30)
- Notification on screen for highlights and private messages.
- How is this configured? How does it work? When I send myself a private message, it explodes. Presumably I'm missing some libraries or something?
beep.pl (0.3, 2009-04-30)
- Speaker beep on highlight/private message.
- It works, but because I don't get any sound, it's not so useful. See Enabling the Linux PC speaker beep. It beeps even when I'm looking at that buffer. Sigh.
- Does this have NickServ identification? I don't see a plugin for that.
fifo seems to exist now
Seems sensible enough, but i'm going back to the release version now that I have the dependencies installed. I'd rather wait for the essential plugins to get updated before I use the other version. Well, I'd rather wait for a stable version..
2009-04-26+ - 0.2.6.2 ∞
- Wow, it's beautiful.
F10scrolls the topic. But it wraps around when it gets to the end.
- Just replace it with one command to view the whole topic.
I see no
- Aha, it needs to be enabled in the rc file.
Very very light on resources.
alt-k <key>will give you the keycode.
- it's not a default key binding, the manual is wrong.
scroll wheel- won't work!
/key meta2-Ameta2-Ameta2-A scroll_up
/key meta2-Bmeta2-Bmeta2-B scroll_down
- I get no scan codes out of
alt-endaren't bindable. The
altare not noticed and just
Put scripts in the appropriate autoload dir. If you're expecting a scripting language directory and it's not there, you probably don't have support compiled in. At the WeeChat commandline, try stuff like
/lua and if you get an error with any of them you don't have support.
- key bindings
alt-left/right - also binds mouse buttons 4/5 !
/key meta2-1;3D /buffer -1
/key meta2-1;3C /buffer +1
/key meta2-1;5D previous_word
/key meta2-1;5C next_word
/key ctrl-C delete_line
/key meta2-3;5~ delete_next_word
/key meta-ctrl-? delete_previous_word
/key ctrl-v clipboard_paste
/key control-_ search_text
/key meta2-5;5~ page_up
/key meta2-6;5~ page_down
/key meta2-5;3~ page_up
/key meta2-6;3~ page_down
/key meta-OH home
/key meta-OF end
/key ctrl-C won't clear the line in LXTerminal =/
key [key [function/command]] [unbind key] [functions] [call function ["args"]] [reset -yes] bind/unbind keys key: display or bind this key to an internal function or a command (beginning by "/") unbind: unbind a key functions: list internal functions for key bindings call: call a function by name (with optional arguments) reset: restore bindings to the default values and delete ALL personal bindings (use carefully!)
- Automatic-connect and channel joining
a. at the commandline
~/.weechat/weechat.rc and check for your server under
[server]. Set this stuff:
server_autoconnect = on server_autojoin = "#chan1,#chan2" server_password = "password" server_nick1 = "nick" server_nick2 = "nick2" server_nick3 = "nick3"
- NickServ identification
automatic commands after connecting (ghosting, nickserv identifying)
Forcenick (1.0, 2009-04-27)
- Works with no configuration. Make sure
~/.weechat/weechat.rchas the correct nick and password information.
- Ghosting hasn't been tested. I can't actually reproduce a ghost. :)
- Does not work if the server goes down and I auto-reconnect.
- Works with no configuration. Make sure
NickServ identifer plugin (0.1, 2009-04-27)
- Too universal and complicated.
alt-ato switch to the next unread buffer (channel).
/partand close a window.
- By default, any
/keysettings are saved automatically.
upto get to the previous commands. It remembers what you were typing.
- You could type things, and press down to add it into your command history stack without sending it to the channel.
Your current-typing and history is saved individually for each channel you're on.
- Check for something that'll automatically tinyURL links? Or maybe put links on one row or something.. eesh.
scrollupto one-line scroll up the buffer
- and down..
shift-upto one-line scroll up the buffer
- and down..
- Is there a function to match currently-typing text with a previously-typed command?
- Is there a hotkey to show/hide the user list?
- I can't highlight a URL to visit it. Sad.
- Change the green chat bar into a dash
- Maybe change conversation so the second line isn't indented?
The status bar needs to be updated
- I need the channel to be the leftmost item.
- I also don't care for some of that info, including the time taking up a new row.
- remove my username?
- figure out logging, I think it already does it and just has to be turned on.
- TODO - Highlight notification: On one's name, or personal message. Should not notify if you're currently in that channel.
- Speaker beep on highlight/private msg.
- FIXME: I can't test, apparently I don't have Perl support compiled. =/
- Play a sound when highlighted/private msg, or for ctcp sound event.
/setp perl.sound.cmd_highlight = "/usr/bin/command arguments..."
- I can do a sound and popup, or maybe a tray icon (animated?)
- FIXME: I can't test, apparently I don't have perl support compiled. =/
- This Plugin Calls the
libnotifybindings via python when somebody says your nickname, sends you a query, etc. To make it work, you may need to download:
- This Plugin Calls the
- Script to run notify-send on highlights and private messages.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090316165947/http://weechat.flashtux.org:80/scripts/awaylog.pl -- best to do it all the time though, not just when away.
- get the list of replacable words from naim.
[ + ]