See also Monetizing MediaWiki
Old advice ∞
Specifically regarding Google:
These are all things you can do right now in mere formatting to increase Google's ability to rank your pages.
- MediaWiki and Google Sitemaps
Rewriting the skin.
- Google is quite aversive to dirty code.
- URL scheming and
robot.txtto make sure that Google only sees page content, and more importantly only current revisions of page content.
Make sure important keywords are mentioned on each page through footers/headers and category listings.
Of course then you have to give google something to rank.. make sure you're users are writing Google-friendly wikicode.
TODO - Further research ∞
- manipulating keywords and other such things.
hacking the templating, and manipulating the layout and text.
- This stuff is very very hard.
Meta tags ∞
- There was a MediaWiki meta extension, but it didn't really work.. some of it did but just supplemented and does not replace the existing stuff.
Meta keywords seems to be somewhat automatic.