Most still refer to the overarching corporation as Google, though they are now called Alphabet Inc. and "Google" is their search engine and something of a sub-umbrella brand-corporation.
Alphabet Inc's search engine.
Google is Evil.
- e.g. if you die.
- So I stopped using Google..
- Firefox > Google advertising cookie opt-out Firefox add-on
- Apps with access to your account
Google Takeout will let you rescue your data from various products.
- Know what you're doing with this data, and actually use it so you know it works before relying on it. Then use it regularly.
- Removing Google history for various products
- Manage Google+ apps
- Pay special attention to disconnecting your YouTube account.
- update: This will turn off your YouTube channel until you re-enable Google+.
- The WordPress admin panel reports to Google. This is insanity.
- (There is no configuration)
- This is important to get direct links to things like PDFs.
Search result modification requests ∞
Unsolved mysteries ∞
- How do I remove recent searches on Google Groups?
How do I remove recently visited groups on Google Groups?
Google+ once again became optional for posting YouTube comments. Upon deleting a Google+ account, one may get a "failed to post comment" error. Clear all cookies, log back into YouTube and try again.
Do note that you cannot usually copy a comment from a comment edit box which has been failing to post in this way. You'll have to type it out again!
Google has become so convoluted and Evil that they have had to spin off a department to deal with their proprietary nature: Data Liberation (blog). Three thumbs up on that, but I don't care so much now that I'm stepping away from Google and everything it has.
Google is about as unsettling as the whole AOL + Time Warner thing. I always understood that a content producer and a content distributor could not go to bed. Isn't that explicitly illegal in US law? Seriously.. Google does searching, advertising, and data analysis for that advertising. Then they give email and various other apps which also get them additional information. Now there's Google Chrome (see Chromium), a web browser. Seriously.. should I also get a Google Computer and a Google ISP? Maybe I can get Google Glasses and have popup advertising right there to make it simple.
I wonder how Google will make the browser able to FORCE "legitimate" popup advertising, with no ad blocking possible. I guess they'd also need to have some ad-distribution detection functionality to make sure that people aren't using a proxy to ban certain streams of data. Maybe web pages will begin to have some sort of crc-like hash that's sent, so that the received and viewed data is what the provider expects. That would be a sort of DRM for the web. This is the kind of shit corporations think of.
Oh, and I noticed that when searching for "Google Corporate Website", their URL also passed some data along with the URL. I thought Google already got caught with its pants down on special search results tracking like that.. and now it seems to be selective. Fun.
Gmail settings keep changing ∞
2017-11-30 on Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD