TODO - make a proper page
FreeCAD-0.15.4671_x86_setup on Windows 8.1, updated recently.
- LGPL, nice.
0.15, that's disheartening. Well maybe it'll be complete enough.
Starting with http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started and fiddling.
- "Getting started" does not cover what to do about that big confusing opening dialog.
- A browser is built in.. uh, neat?
- I guess I have to exit and re-start the application to get that opening dialog again.
- I'm not sure what to select, but I'm trying with "Part Design".
- For some reason, it doesn't begin with "Create sketch" or some such. I'm expecting a viewport.
- Why would I want some wacky plane to sketch on? Is that for crazy people?
- I figured out how to make a rectangle, but how do I snap to grid?
- Middle-click, hold, then left-click to rotate view. Uh, wut. Now how do I return it to sanity?
- Their documentation specifically keeps stuff for a shitty older version.
Oh, the start page is a tab at the bottom.
- Tabs should be at the top.
I can't figure out how to get my grid back. Starting a new project doesn't work.
- Oh, it's
Part Design > Create sketch
- Oh, it's
- When creating a line, I had no clue how to snap to grid. But I see afterwards that it automatically has constraints and a snap to grid feature on the left.
When resizing my line, the grid disappeared. Unselecting and re-selecting the
Show gridon the left did not solve this. Is this a bug?
- Making a new line attached to my first line revealed the grid again. I don't understand what's going on..
Isn't there a simple way to make a box?
- Oh, found it.
- How do I turn my manual box into a cube?
- How do I move a square? It only resizes.
Oh gods, control-y to re-do.
Well at this point it fails. I'll check out the tutorials.
I guess what I want is http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Basic_modeling_tutorial
"Click on the the box button".. but where is it?
Part > Primitives > Cubeis greyed out.
"This document is in editing mode and thus cannot be closed for the moment." What the fuck?
- Oh, pressing escape exited whatever the fuck mode I was in.
- New stuff > on the left under "Create Geometry", click "Cube"
I have no grid, and I see a square not a cube. I can't rotate my view.
Ok, I'm going to stop here.
FAIL - unfinished, complicated.
Curious, I uninstalled it.. which worked, except I still had the program open. I wonder what it left hanging around.