An ancient discovery in Egypt, from before the pyramids, is found to be a gateway to another world which is still kept as a slave planet by Ra, a self-appointed god who is an alien just trying to get by.
A fantastic movie. Not exactly mandatory. Perhaps elements of it don't feel like they have held up well, or maybe there has been so much excellent science fiction before, during and since its time.
If you like this movie, see Stargate viewing order for the viewing order of other shows.
- https://www.gateworld.net/franchise/movies/stargate/ [ 2 ] was https://www.gateworld.net/movies/stargate/
Mili Avital is astonishingly hot.
These notes are for the director's cut. I remember thinking that actor was female until seeing this cut's opening sequence.
- 1:00 -- The music is amazing. Star Wars amazing.
- I remember being really wowed by the opening title sequence.
- 4:45 -- Scene does not contain a suicide bomber.
- 6:15 -- Why would they raise it like that?
- 6:50 -- Why wouldn't they just think it's stone?
- 7:20 -- Egyptology
- 8:45 -- Park Plaza Hotel (Los Angeles)
- 9:10 -- Air force (United States Air Force)
- 10:45 -- Why look at them in the rain, and not at least under the cover of the hotel entrance?
- 11:45 -- Suicidal ideation
- "Reactivate". See Stop-loss policy.
- 12:25 -- Kid accidentally shot himself, see also gun violence in the United States.
- 12:40 -- Colorado, United States
- "Creek Mountain" is fictional, and was a stand-in name for Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station.
- 12:55 -- Common cold, Allergy, Allergic rhinitis
- 13:45 -- Giza Plateau
- 16:05 -- I always imagine the little old lady running after him, because she sure catches up quickly. A little moment when the captain was just finished talking with someone else would have resolved this issue.
- 17:00 -- I wonder how much that extra got paid to say "uh uh uh".
- 18:55 -- Fourteen days versus two years is the difference between a genius and the mundane. With a massive support structure, and one which is different from those making the scaffold for others, a genius can be leveraged, for their speciality, to achieve far more than other humans.
- 19:20 -- Constellation
- 23:00 -- "Programming seventh symbol into computer." Using broken language representing important stuff happening.
- Even to this point, when the actual movie hasn't started yet, this has been fascinating.
- 24:55 -- "Record all information from the Stargate." .. no duh.
- 25:50 -- It's baffling how they could know where it's going. This wasn't even glossed over and always ticked me off.
27:15 -- Well of course the markings are different, that's another location with a different perspective and stars.
- These days, we have such a detailed map of stars that we might have a reasonable chance of mapping out the region of space around the currently-known point that we could reasonably estimate constellations.
- Some time might have to be put toward actually studying that area in greater detail if it hasn't already been mapped.
- Still, since it's on the other side of the known universe, it's reasonable to assume that nothing is known about it and there's no chance for constellation knowledge.
- 27:40 -- "Well I could do that" -- Jackson, being completely full of shit.
- 28:50 -- I never noticed the bolts holding it up. Very thoughtful.
- 32:00 -- What's he snorting? Cocaine? How? I recall seeing this before, from somewhere..
- 33:30 -- Was that the guy that snorted? His snort makes this comment make much more sense now.
- 40:20 -- Why wouldn't he respond?
- 42:00 -- Doom sound: The Doom sounds always weird me out.
- 1:06:20 -- Bic (company), Lighter
- 1:07:00 -- Underage smoking. Mandatory smoking-kills message.
- 1:23:00 -- I remember being moderately impressed by the transforming helmets, but not by the main dude's.
- 1:23:10 -- He looks like a girl.
- 1:52:50 -- Oh no, obnoxious tertiary character.. noooooooooo!!
1:55:00 -- If I were the bad guy, I would have gunned them all down after their surrender.
I kindof zoned out most of the way through, because I've seen this so many times. I still love it, and watched it again as an intro into the various television series.
Old notes ∞
From "Ultimate Edition: Extended Cut"
A good genre flick. Unfortunately the hairy camel/yak thingy was really really really awful, and so was the neanderthal/unibrow kid.
Oh, and is Kurt's hair glued on or something? It looks like an odd kind of wig.
- 0:13:33 -- Where'd Jackson's bags go? You can barely see one peeking out from behind him on the floor. There really should have been a moment where he dropped them as he was gaping.
- 0:16:07 -- That woman can sure move. He was out the door quite a ways before she set out.
1:24:25 -- The dude Jack is speaking to has mystical moving dogtags. First in back, then front, then back, ...
Easter Egg? ∞
I haven't been able to reproduce this. Probably because I can't really press
Stargate (1994) (Region: 1)
On the menu with 'Play movie, scene selection etc, press
1. If you have selected a Dolby 5.1 sound in the setup menu you get the Dolby Digital 'Egypt' trailer. If you select the Spanish surround audio you get the Dolby Digital 'Temple' trailer and English DTS gives the 'DTS-digexperience' trailer