A quirky and grating writer finds himself pulled into the lives of ordinary people.
A really great, well-rounded, unique movie, especially for guys, as it has a single moment of clarity that will help them understand women.
- 0:30 -- Tulip
- 8:15 -- Camp David
- 10:00 -- Art dealer
- 11:30 -- I recognise that woman from somewhere.
- 16:00 -- Eww.
- 17:00 -- She could have sent her mother to help him. This is the problem with dating mothers.
- 31:00 -- Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - (1991 song), by Monty Python
- 35:45 -- The computer on the right is probably a Dell OptiPlex GXa
- 38:45 -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 54:00 -- That's Julie Benz, who I recognize from Buffy the Vampire Slayer - (1997 TV show).
55:15 -- And this moment is what makes this movie.
not-Darla: How do you write women so well?
Melvin: I think of a man... and I take away reason and accountability.
- 58:00 -- HMO = Health maintenance organization
- 1:03:45 -- The gay neighbour, or gaybour.
- 1:06:45 -- If you like Helen Hunt in a wet t-shirt, see Twister - (1996 movie)
- 1:12:45 -- She's quite full of herself, thinking people would only want her for sex.
- 1:13:30 -- Here's her mid-life crisis. Living for someone else, for something else, and now left with a glimpse of being less-needed. Regretting her life, the rut she was in, the choices she couldn't make.
- 1:18:00 -- I thought he was banned from that place.
- 1:19:45 -- That's a lot of paper.
- I'm not going to track down every song..
- 1:42:00 -- How about.. they make me buy a new outfit, but you can get in wearing the most simple thing, because it's you wearing it.
Melvin: You make me want to be a better man.
- 1:46:15 -- Everything he said was perfectly reasonable. She took it all out of proportion. He said he had other reasons, and he was fumbling for words, because she just kissed a mysophobic. He said it was just one of his thoughts. It's also quite a considerate one, because he thought the two hit it off and both would be happy. This moment really bothered me.
Simon: You're why cave men chiselled on walls.
- 1:49:30 -- Why would he have brought his drawing stuff if he's had no inspiration?
- 1:51:00 -- Holy shit, that's awesome stuff.
- 1:56:15 -- Why is that woman on the right craning her neck?
- 2:09:00 -- I thought that was sleepwear.