This is particular to Oldschool games
- See /tag/comedy+games
Duke Nukem Forever - (2011 game) -- Its release date promises was a long-running joke.
This is an attempt to document the games out there which go above and beyond the simple fun-factor that games began their life with. These games are comedic, to the point of being universal examples of how a game really should be done. These games are legendary, some of which had pioneered a new form of experience for their players.
A partial list ∞
With other notes moved to /tag/games+comedy
From or inspired by https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=979044 [ 1 ] was episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/36209477
This ends up being a good list of games to check out!
Secret of monkey island ∞
- Rubber Tree. Oh yes. It's funny because it's so out of character with the rest of the game. Just as you're sitting there going "THAT wasn't bloody fair!", the "miracle" occurs and you realise you've been well and truly had.......
Murray, the talking demon skull
- 'Can I call you Bob?' 'You may call me Murray! I am a powerful demonic force!' 'The demons will applaud me as I stride through the gates of Hell...WITH YOUR HEAD ON A PIKE!' '...Stride?' '...All right, ROLL! ROLL THROUGH THE GATES OF HELL! Do you have to take ALL the fun out of EVERYTHING?'
- The five minute conversation between the barkeep and the mortician discussing whether or not Guybrush is dead after he drinks the mixed hangover remedy and the grog smile
- 'stylish confetti'
Guybrush Threepwoord, Monkey Island 3:: "I haven't chugged a jar full of dead fireflies since college. "
Metal Gear Solid ∞
- ways to kill yourself
- The first time I met the guard in the first part of the game I ran away from them, then attempted to escape by crawling under the pipe... they shot me dead in 2 seconds as I crawled.
- The first time I hid in the truck in the next area, thinking it would keep me safe from the guard following me... sure enough, he doesn't follow me in. Wait... what was that he just threw inside...? BOOM!
- Hiding under the desks. Same result.
- Electrocuting myself on the electric floor... hilarious.
- Killing Guards while they take a leak.
- Putting C4 on their backs... then detonating it.
- Killing guards with the Nikita missiles...
- The first time you fight Psycho Mantis and they tell you to plug your controller into port 2! LOL!
- Looking over Meryl too long in FirstPerson view... and her response...
- Smacking Meryl and getting smacked back...
When I met Otacon... boy he was hilarious... perfect otaku charicature.
Sam & Max: Hit The Road ∞
- Well, it all started the day before today. I remember it just like it was yesterday.
Sam: "I think we learned a valuable lesson from all this."
- Max: "More twinklies!!! More twinklies!!"
SAM:Looks to me like a marginally vulnerable hostage situation!
- MAX: OOOOOH, does this mean we get to kick some puffy, white, mad scientist's butt?
- SAM: Can't think of a reason not to...
Sam: Amphersand(@) percent-sign dollar-sign!
- Max: Yeah! And colon semi-colon too!
- Psychic tool bender: What the
&*(^are you doing?
- Max: Swearing in longhand!
*You look in the mirror*
- *You place yourself under visual surveillance*
"Glory to safety quotas in the nuclear power industry at all levels!"
- "The world is a fluffy paper screwdriver."
- That classic trick of hiding behind a lightswitch.
And many more gems.
- put 2 male baldies in a room and somehow they "mate", creating more baldies.
- run over a baldy with a car once and they sort of pass out. Run over the same baldy and you hear a "splat" and you have something that resembles baldy roadkill.
- Try to grab the helicopter with the hand of god interface and you're left with bloody fingertips(and you can't grab anything for a few minutes.
- The nuclear cow weapon-research a cow, place it somewhere on the landscape, then both you and your opponents baldies are attrached to it. Get enough baldies around it and the thing blows up.
"Leather Goddesses of Phobos" - there's a dead Martian lying amongst some dunes. I'm looking over my friend's shoulder and after a while he gets bored SEARCHING and EXAMINING the dead alien, so he types "FUCK DEAD ALIEN". Response: "I'm not even sure there's a word for what you just tried to do. Xeno-necrophilia? Necro-xeno-philia? Grosso-sicko-philia??"
- Leisure suite larry series (old sierra games just plain rock)
- The cuss pack for Redneck Rampage! The old coot repeating "Ahm gunna fuck ya! Aaahhhm a-gunna fuck ya!" Drunk mode was pretty funny too, burping and farting all over the place with that stupid redneck laugh uhhuhuhuhuh!!
escape from monkey island
- 'Monkey Kombat' ;)
- 'Planet Threepwood'... Guybrush talking to the tourist:: 'I'm Guybrush Threepwood!' 'Ha, ha. Everyone knows Guybrush Threepwood is seven foot tall with a parrot on each shoulder and eyes filled with fire!' (or something similar :P) 'Um...okay...'
- dungeon keeper II -- 'disco inferno'
- Clicking on all the characters
worms (+ armageddon)
- watching your friend dig himself a hole, and then laugh in glee as you ninja rope over and drop a holy hand grenade on his head is priceless. or hearing your worm yell BONZAI!! in a Scottish accent, awesome. how about using the prod weapon to poke your friend over the ledge? or setting a mine at the only opening of the hole that you just launched your friend into? or its gotta be "hunka hunka burning luv" elvis worms! and the great part is, they are on the 3rd sequel and it has yet to get old for even a minute.
- I'm a big fan of the concrete donkey. But then again, banana bomb assaults routinely take the cake. Heh heh. big grin
- fallout 1 and 2
- maniac mansion (cutscenes)
- earth worm jim
- space quest
- Rebel Assault 2 (easter egg)
- dodge ball (or super dodge ball)
Day of the Tentacle
- The idyllic morning scene, panning toward the mansion, the bird flying along...then it dies and it pans to the toxic waste spill behind the house ;)
Syndicate (some good scenes)
- Syndicate Wars -- The way the cops will cross the street, mowing down dozens of civilians, just cuz you pulled out a gun. Then you holster it and they spin on a dime and continue on their way.
- Half-Life, when dumbass scientists triggered bombs or got capped by grunts.
- NFSx, when the car FLIES!!!
- Daikatana cut-scenes. Both of them are completely hilarious.
- quake 2 processing center
- quake 3 - hopping and overtaking a rocket
- Shroom mode in Rise of the Triad
- Being turned into a chicken in Heretic (or was it Hexen?)
- I'm amazed nobody's mentioned the little pink bunnies in Full Throttle... as if using them to set off a mine field wasn't enough, I couldn't resist shoving them into the engine fan of that huge truck at the end of the game...now that's comedy!
Watching people explode in tribes, when using Ion Rifle or Omega Canon, the just fly apart! It rocks.
- Tribes with all the funny scripts and voice packs (Mistah T!)
- Star Wars easter egg
- C&C soldiers get nuked and stuble around on fire
- The Space Bar (a good Sega PC game) the whole section with Fleebix and his lizard friend is just too much.
- Well, I've ROFLMAO'ed I don't know how many times playing Road Rash on the Sega Genesis. Playing 1on1 with my friend, I always liked to ride up and bitch slap my friend across the face with a chain-whip, causing him to fall off his bike and getting hit by a oncoming car.
- Also, playing TFC is funny when you launch ppl 50ft into the air with a rocket, then watching them hit the ground and die. I've seen some pretty hairy shit goin on in TFC, like when ppl levatate above the ground and kinda float around.
- Halflife:Opfor and my brother was watching me fighting against a black ops, and I launched a grenade at him. The black op blew up and his skull bounced around and landed at my feet. We both busted up laughing so hard. Actually, playing Opfor some more, I noticed that it happens quite frequently. I have the feeling that the developers intentionally make skulls bounce towards you.
- I really liked the "sticky bomb" in Shadow Warrior, a spiked grenade that would pierce the flesh of your enemies and stick to them until it detonated.
- watcha think you are busting in here buster? -- one shot. -- aaarrrgggghhh! -- :) she lost
- the ditched "Kill Wrathy" ship in Ultima VII was pretty clever.
- Ultima 6- picking up..anything. My friend once ran around game once with some dead woman's body he stole from a funeral shop (it had an invis ring on it too:P) in his backpack just because he could:p My personal favorite was stealing potted plants..heh.
- Ulitma 7 and 8 had some great pallate shifting mushroom hallucinations. The best thing was in Ultima 7 in Britian, when you go to the theater, they are practicing for a play based on the adventures of the Avatar. The person playing the Avatar has a great line: "Want to hear my best line? 'Name? Job? Bye.'"
- Shadow Warria' - With classic comments like this, who CAN'T avoid laughing!!:: "SWORD is personal... when you slicing through a man.. you get tha personal feedback... nuclear weapon, ehh... goes off, big bang, but you dont get any feeling."
- Redneck Rampage. It had so many crazy sayings:: your ass is grass and I am the lawn mower.
- Carmageeddon's "Bonus for Artistic Impression"
- Blowing up my own troops in Myth with the dwarf - "Ooops, my bad."
- MDK2: "I've made toast! Delicious!"
- Once you got good with the lightsaber in Jedi Knight I thought that slicing stormtroopers in half was a hoot
- Sam n' Max.
- The turnip discussion
- The mortar/cannon discussion
- Civilization: Watching a chariot beat up a submarine.
- Kingpin: This game is funny as hell!!! You should go into the character .wav files and listen to some of the replies and stuff, fuckin hilarious!
- I can't believe no one has mentioned all the little jokes in Fallout 1 and 2. I particularly liked what happened when you bought Marcus a prostitute in Fallout 2.
- Rise Of The Triads :: Dog Mode
- IK+ on the amiga .. turning it onto 'hyper mode' and listening to al those daft bruce lee samples .. and htting in codes
- Indy 500 (the original 500k one) and the instant replay smash ups...
- maniac mansion, all the cutscenes....
- Thief is fun if you like to mess with people's minds or do mean things like drop unconscious people down stairwells to their death or drown them in the water.
- Mortal Kombat:: the various fatalties
- RA2: All the jokes that Gen. Carville makes about Canada after the U.S. is invaded
- cool easter eggs in Rebel Assault 2? They actually have a MST3K mode with alternate dialog for the entire game! Or how 'bout the Storm Trooper ballet?
- Full Throttle:: the bunnies
No One Lives Forever [NOLF]:: the discussion between two guards in No One Lives Forever about why criminals prefer beer more than average people...hilarious. Come to think about it, NOLF provides MANY funny moments where you overhear guards talking amongst themselves...
- the ending is very amusing.
- "Mechanical Man" from C&C. The best worst song in the history of videogaming.
- Rampage Great examples of senseless yet hilarious violence.
- Narc. Great examples of senseless yet hilarious violence.
- Lemmings -- nuking all your lemmings
- Halloween Harry, when I first saw Elvis as the end boss with Hounddog playing in the background I was rolling on the floor.
- Blades of Steel, on the NES and purposely running into other hockey players to start a fist fight.
- Earthworm Jim: when he launched that cow in the sky
"Aliens Versus Predator"? The funniest two things with that game:
- 1. Playing a marine coop where you face down waves of Aliens. If you don't like a marine you're playing with you can't shoot them "accidentally", but you *can* wait till an Alien gets close enough to him and then shoot the Alien so that its acid blood splashes all over the marine and kills him.
- 2. Playing as a Predator or Alien and freaking out the computer Marines. If the marines hear you or see you coming sometimes they lose it and just start firing away blindly in your direction. What's funny is when the other marines panic and run right into the line of fire and get mowed down by their own men, all the while yelling "AAAHHHHH SHIIITT!!!" big grin
- Grim Fandango is also way up there in funniness; nothing like performing open mic poetry for a bunch of deadbeats! And then there's Kitty Hat Day, the Angelitas, and Glottis. Silly, silly Glottis.
- Total Carnage, which you can use MAME to play, is fraking hilarious all the way through. General Akhboob's Bio-Nuclear Baby Milk Factory, "I'll buy you for a dollar", and the SmashTV jokes were all great. It's also a bit of a Gulf War satire.
- Rocket Crowbar:: Playing it with Moody.
- Age of Empires -- the Easter Eggs of firing peasants and cows from catapults
- Outcast has tons of funny dialog.
|^ 1||was episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/36209477|