2022-07-06 - Switched from Windows 10
- I was able to use my old Windows 8.1 OEM key.
What I expect to suck:
It has some sort of reinstall thing needed every x months.
Windows 11 Home cannot disable internet search via a registry key, and it does not have access to Group Policy settings.
Usage and troubleshooting ∞
Much of the Windows 10 notes will work.
Generic low-level installation check ∞
- Open an admin command prompt
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
Install Windows 11 without an internet connection or Microsoft account ∞
~2022-07-06 -- While there are some other variations, these instructions were easy to remember and worked for me:
When you find yourself prompted to set up your internet connection:
shift-F10for a console
- (in the console)
taskmgrto launch the Task Manager
- (In the Task Manager)
- Click "More Details" at the bottom-left.
- In the Processes list, find "Network Connection Flow"
right-clickand select "End task"
- Exit the Task Manager
- (In the command prompt)
Determine drive usage on Windows 11 on the commandline ∞
fsutil volume diskfree C:
- An archived link so it's a stable page if/when another version of Windows is released.
- was https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/lifecycle/faq/windows