Brave is a web browser that uses components from Chrome to build a more security-conscious browser which also has an alternate advertising mechanism with revenue sharing.
Like Chrome, it's missing fundamental things.
- 2019-08-02 - 0.67.123 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10
2018-03-27 - 1.0.43, Chromium 65.0.3325.109 on Android 7.0.0; X20 Build/NRD90M
- I've been using for a few weeks. It's nice and fast and works well enough. I like that I can actually organize bookmarks, unlike Chrome.
2018-03-27 - Some weeks ago I switched from Firefox.
- I would later abandon this experiment.
2016-10-27 - 0.12.6 ∞
Brave 0.12.6 Electron 1.4.18 libchromiumcontent 53.0.2785.143 V8 5.3.332.47 Node.js 6.50
- Clean, simple and fast like Chrome. Obviously a knockoff that I hope they significantly diverge from to turn this into a real browser.
- I like orange. I wish it had a dark theme.
- I see no theming functionality.
- I see no extensions/addons functionality.
- I see a reference to using a version of flash, but no plugins functionality.
- Accesskeys with
alt-shiftdo not work.
- I can tap
altto view it.
- I cannot press
alt+keyto go to a particular entry, e.g.
- Cannot be made to be permanent. If accesskeyed even worked, then the menu constantly appearing and disappearing, bouncing everything around, would be fucking godawfully annoying.
- I can tap
About > Helpd
- Cannot copy the content of the help screen. Ugh.
- Cannot keep this window up and interact with the browser. Fuck man, I have to manually type things into a text file..
- Like Chrome, cannot
control-shift-pageup/pagedownto move a browser around. Even with the mouse it's annoying.
- Hovering over another tab gives a greyed out version of it. While cute, this greyness is fucking annoying.
- Like Chrome, cannot assign a keyword to a bookmark, forcing me to go and look for bookmarks. Fuck that.
Bookmarks Manager -
control-fdoesn't go to the 'search bookmarks' field. I wonder what the difference is between these two searches.
right click > inspect elementdoes not let me copy the text. What the fuck is the point of it, then?
When editing a blog entry
- Pressing pagedown jumps the whole page before settling into a new position for the text editing field.
control-fto find, the mouse focus is removed from the text area.
Uninstalling didn't even prompt. I was hoping it would prompt me to delete user data.