Brave is a web browser that uses components from Chrome to build a more security-conscious browser which also has an alternate advertising mechanism with revenue sharing.
Like Chrome, it's missing fundamental things.
- 2022-11-22 - v1.45.131 (Chromium 107.0.5304.110) on macOS 13 (Ventura)
- 2022-10-31 - iOS - 1.44.1 (18.104.22.168) on iPhone SE 3 with iOS 15.4
- 2022-09-02 - Cannot support synced histories
- I keep it up to date. These dates/versions are just out of boredom.
- 2022-07-11 - 1.40.113 on Chromium: 103.0.5060.114 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 11
- 2020-07-26 - 1.10.99 on Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 on Android 7.0; X20 Build/NRD90M
- 2020-07-26 - 1.11.101 on Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10
- 2019-08-02 - 0.67.123 on Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10
2018-03-27 - 1.0.43 on Chromium: 65.0.3325.109 on Android 7.0.0; X20 Build/NRD90M
- I've been using for a few weeks. It's nice and fast and works well enough. I like that I can actually organize bookmarks, unlike Chrome.
2018-03-27 - Some weeks ago I switched from Firefox.
- I would later abandon this experiment.
2022-10-31 - iOS - 1.44.1 (22.214.171.124) ∞
Brave complained about one of the items in the chain needing to be updated.
- .. It worked when I had it scan a code instead.
Brave on iOS is significantly different than Brave on Android.
- No tab groups.
- YouTube back/forward videos.
- Other subtleties.
- I managed to close a tab, open a new one, begin a YouTube playlist and have music from _the closed tab_ start playing overtop of it. I couldn't figure out what was going on and just closed the browser to stop it all.
- The playlist feature is fucking incredible. Offline playback is great.
I didn't notice that there's a "send tab to other device" feature now; handy.
2016-10-27 - 0.12.6 ∞
Brave 0.12.6 Electron 1.4.18 libchromiumcontent 53.0.2785.143 V8 5.3.332.47 Node.js 6.50
- Clean, simple and fast like Chrome. Obviously a knockoff that I hope they significantly diverge from to turn this into a real browser.
- I like orange. I wish it had a dark theme.
- I see no theming functionality.
- I see no extensions/addons functionality.
- I see a reference to using a version of flash, but no plugins functionality.
- Accesskeys with
alt-shiftdo not work.
- I can tap
altto view it.
- I cannot press
alt+keyto go to a particular entry, e.g.
- Cannot be made to be permanent. If accesskeyed even worked, then the menu constantly appearing and disappearing, bouncing everything around, would be fucking godawfully annoying.
- I can tap
About > Helpd
- Cannot copy the content of the help screen. Ugh.
- Cannot keep this window up and interact with the browser. Fuck man, I have to manually type things into a text file..
- Like Chrome, cannot
control-shift-pageup/pagedownto move a browser around. Even with the mouse it's annoying.
- Hovering over another tab gives a greyed out version of it. While cute, this greyness is fucking annoying.
- Like Chrome, cannot assign a keyword to a bookmark, forcing me to go and look for bookmarks. Fuck that.
Bookmarks Manager -
control-fdoesn't go to the 'search bookmarks' field. I wonder what the difference is between these two searches.
right click > inspect elementdoes not let me copy the text. What the fuck is the point of it, then?
When editing a blog entry
- Pressing pagedown jumps the whole page before settling into a new position for the text editing field.
control-fto find, the mouse focus is removed from the text area.
Uninstalling didn't even prompt. I was hoping it would prompt me to delete user data.
Usage and troubleshooting ∞
Do not look for a place to type this, just blindly type in the characters
Untested - I've also been told