http://www.jpj.net/~trevor/aumix/ [ 1 ] was jpj.net:80/~trevor/aumix/aumix.html
This program adjusts an audio mixer from X11, the console, a terminal, the command line or a script. It uses the Open Sound System API.
This did the job when I needed the job done.
- 2017-07-07 or earlier, and for sure upon my switch to Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD, I started using AlsaMixer, though aumix is still in my toolkit.
- 2016-03-30 - 2.9.1 on Slackware 14.1
- Earlier than 2016-03-26 (version unknown) on Lubuntu earlier than 14.04.4 LTS
- I started using aumix-text
- 2009-03-31 (version not recorded) on PCLinuxOS (version not recorded)
- 2009-03-24 - 2.8 on (distribution not recorded)
I used to use Kmix
2016-03-30 - 2.9.1 ∞
Installed from source with:
\wget --continue www.jpj.net/~trevor/aumix/old/aumix-2.9.1.tar.bz2 \tar -xvvjf aumix-2.9.1.tar.bz2 \cd aumix-2.9.1 ./configure \make \make install
I could not get it to work.
aumix: error opening mixer: No such file or directory
.. I presume this is because this software uses OSD, and Slackware 14.1 does not have such emulation set up.
According to SlackBuilds, aumix was obsoleted with the upgrade from 14.0 to 14.1
Earlier than 2016-03-26 (version unknown) ∞
I installed this from the Lubuntu repository.
I used this for a bit, but ended up switching to an everyday keyboard and didn't need this functionality.
Examples for raising volume:
In Openbox the
rc.xml keybinding would be:
<keybind key="XF86AudioRaiseVolume"> <action name="Execute"> <command>aumix -v+5</command> </action> </keybind>
2009-03-31 (version not recorded) ∞
I sent the author an email, which got no reply:
As the mailing list is down, and I have found an issue I am unable to
solve after some effort, I thought I'd email you.
Because blue on black is not a legible colour for me, I was
investigating using a colour scheme file. aumix --help says the
commandline is:aumix -C /path/to/colour_scheme_file
When I try that, I get:aumix: unable to open settings file
I have played with the file's permissions and I have also logged in as
Since this came with my distribution (PCLinuxOS), I then thought that
perhaps I should build it from source.
INSTALLI saw a note with
--datadir=DIR, and so I specified it with
make installdid not create the datadir and
copy the example colour schemes and xpm like the documentation says.
I tried making
datadirmyself, and then I copied the example 'xterm'
colour scheme there. Re-running aumix with that datadir did not
change the "unable to open settings file" issue.
Are you able to reproduce this issue? Let me know if you'd like me to
try anything else to troubleshoot further.
Not updated in forever. Version 2.8 was released 25 November 2002. But it seems to work just fine..
2009-03-24 - 2.8 ∞
aumix-gtk which is nice.
aumix-text (2.8, released 2002-11)
- wow, it even has mouse access if launched in an xterm. Sweet.
The default colours suck. Blue on black is not readable.
- Aumix-text colour schemes - I have been unable to change the colours, following the instructions carefully. I have emailed the author for his advice.
aumix -v-10 aumix -v+10
[ + ]