- Web servers
- Search engine optimization
- Website standards compliance
- HTML Tidy is an important tool.
- /tag/website-software (live)
- File Sharing
- Paste buckets
- 1 Testing
- 2 Email providers
- 3 External website hosting
- 4 Project hosting
- 5 File-hosting websites
- 6 Picture-hosting websites
- 7 Video-hosting websites
- 8 Audio-hosting websites
- 9 Tracking
- 10 Link protection
- 11 Self-hosting
- 12 Dump
Speed Testing (TODO) ∞
Email providers ∞
Mailing list providers ∞
External website hosting ∞
proper hosting ∞
- https://www.engineyard.com/ - For Rails.
- https://www.dreamhost.com/legal/unlimited-policy/ - Doesn't allow: File upload / sharing / archive / backup / mirroring / distribution sites.
- Emailed to clarify. TODO - find the response
Free Hosting ∞
A good place to check is probably http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-mysql-database.php
I looked at these pretty closely.
- Looks wonderful. Doesn't allow domains.
- equires one to regularly log into their forum.
crap hosting ∞
Website services ∞
Domain names ∞
- I've seen it used for privacy with godaddy stuff.
Dynamic DNS services ∞
- Free DNS Hosting, Dynamic DNS Hosting, Static DNS Hosting, subdomain and domain hosting.
Public DNS servers ∞
For you connecting out into the world.
You could just run djbdns -- it's a replacement for BIND.
- See also https://tinydns.org/
- They have a nasty "feature" that redirects any request to a non-existent domain to themed Yahoo! search results. Apart from that, the service is very good, and I think if you create an account you can turn off that "feature".
Blog hosting ∞
Twitter for microblogging, technically.
- http://twitpic.com/ for pictures
See also WordPress
Project hosting ∞
- https://github.com/luaforge?tab=repositories [ 2 ] was luaforge.net/projects/
There's also https://fusionforge.org/ if you want to have a SourceForge-like website.
File-hosting websites ∞
Various programming languages have repositories:
Various Linux distributions have repositories.
TODO - multi-upload
- A Distributed Anonymous Information Storage and Retrieval System.
2007-01-30 - RapidShare ∞
Picture-hosting websites ∞
Which allow direct image linking:
- No censorship. From the guys who did the pirate's bay?
- They accept porn
good on keeping pictures around:
Video-hosting websites ∞
- They syndicate to multiple hosts! Their internal player is Windows-only.. bah.
- https://www.itemfix.com/ [ 3 ] was www.liveleak.com
- https://videoshub.com/ [ 4 ] was www.metacafe.com
webcam chatrooms and video streaming ∞
- https://www.vonage.com/communications-apis/video/ [ 5 ] was tokbox.com
Audio-hosting websites ∞
See also Podcasting > Audio-hosting
- They implemented some pretty evil mouse-tracking stuff.
Link protection ∞
Dspam - Community Driven Antispam Filter
Server software ∞
- thttpd - tiny/turbo/throttling HTTP server
- Renown for its speed.
- As of 2017-12-18 last updated 2005-02-23
- A complete Usenet system. It includes innd, an NNTP server, and nnrpd, a newsreading server.
- Leafnode -- NNTP server for small sites
sn -- News server for small sites
- A robust load balancer for tcp and udp based protocols such as dns, http or smtp. It allows several servers to appear as one to the outside and automatically detects servers that are down and distributes clients among the available servers. This gives high availability and scalable performance.
- See also https://galeracluster.com/library/documentation/pen.html
Varnish HTTP Cache
- CloudFlare for caching and uptime and such.
- Search engine optimization
Odd web server software:
- A web server in dd/sh
- PS-HTTPD: The PostScript web server
- awk web server
- Allows you to use SSH, TELNET, VNC, FTP and any other Internet application from behind HTTP(HTTPS) and SOCKS(4/5) proxy servers. This 'proxifier' provides proxy server support to any app.
- Squid / etc
- Squid - caching proxy
- Ad Zapping With Squid
- A redirector for squid. Good for low-resource systems I'm told.
- Some kind of pseudo-hosting site?