A documentary about Robert Crumb.
A lineage of broken genetics is passed on to children, one of whom drew odd things oddly and got famous because normies couldn't or wouldn't do it. He got and stayed famous because he got there first. Everyone fawns over him to be cool.
There's a lot of anti-consumerism, anti-industry and general cultural critique. Unfortunately, the whole thing gets interesting only in the latter third, and the good cultural critique is scattered throughout that.
All things considered, this isn't a great movie, an interesting person or an interesting topic. For people unaware of the reality, this shows the broken side of certain kinds of artist.
- 0:30 -- Eww, fullscreen.
- 2:30 -- Yes, artists are like this.
- 3:00 -- Done in something otuside of language.
9:45 -- After learning a little bit about taking care of, and playing, records, it pains me to see distortions and hear static.
- I didn't care to try to identify that record or song.
- 14:30 -- See any genetic similarities?
- 19:15 -- See any genetic similarities?
- 18:45 -- Baroque
- 20:00 -- Epileptic seizure
22:15 -- Sheena, Queen of the Jungle - (1955 show)
- 25:00 -- Yep, quirky.
- 27:30 -- Throughout, I've been cringing at the lack of gloves.
30:00 -- Sigmund Freud
- Strong powerful women. This movie is showing its age.
- 31:00 -- Honoré Daumier
- 31:15 -- David S. Goyer?
- 35:30 -- Janis Joplin
- 36:15 -- She has a comical perspective.
- 37:15 -- LSD = Lysergic acid diethylamide
- 37:45 -- Stream of consciousness (narrative mode)
- 39:00 -- Underground papers is not related to an underground press' more political bent.
39:30 -- Yarrowstalks
- The underground and psychedelic shit is the counterculture of the 1960s.
- 40:30 -- So he was genetically odd, had an odd childhood, had an odd adolescence, got obsessed, did drugs and made odd comics, got swept up into the oddness 1960s cult and got known for being odd and so he stuck with it.
- 41:00 -- Trina Robbins
- 42:00 -- Spain Rodriguez
- 46:45 -- That arcade game they passed was Terminator 2: Judgment Day-branded.
- 47:30 -- Holy shit there's a lot of poverty.
- 48:15 -- Hard Rock Cafe
48:00 -- Idiot's advertising on their clothing:
- 50:00 -- Peggy Orenstein
- 51:15 -- Now those two definitely look similar.
- 53:00 -- Recluse
- 56:15 -- No, noooo, don't damage a classic!
58:15 -- Foot fetishism
- .. and this woman is making shit up to be the center of attention with armchair psychology.
- 59:00 -- .. and now she's making some sense.
- There's his shoe thing.
- .. he has masturbated to his own comics.
- 1:04:45 -- Ashley Wilkes?
- 1:05:30 -- Did he say he didn't love his wife?
- 1:06:00 -- Game Boy
- 1:13:15 -- Breakdancing
- 1:15:30 -- On the right-hand side is "Zut", which I know from one episode of Babylon 5 - (1994 show). I wonder if it's an actual thing from somewhere.
- 1:16:00 -- Training People Effectively - (1970 book), by Charles V. Crumb
1:17:45 -- Amphetamine
- I wonder if she took anything while pregnant.
- 1:21:00 -- Mr. Natural (comics)
1:25:30 -- Get that cup away from that collectable.
- Also get your head out of your ass, with the whole objectification bullshit. The audience just had the whole comic explained, and you're full of shit.
- 1:26:15 -- People don't have free will, so everything must be mothered to protect the poor innocent
- 1:26:30 -- Oh you fucking idiot making shit up out of your own fantasies. Get out of your chair you armchair psychologist.
- 1:27:30 -- She has a matching gold upper-left molar.
- 1:28:30 -- No, you fucktard, children are not adults.
- 1:28:45 -- Goodfellas - (1990 movie)
- 1:29:15 -- Yep, white "liberals" being illiberal, and coddling everyone else over their white savior complex.
- 1:29:30 -- So high and mighty, so confident. She must have all the answers. She cannot be making shit up. She's omniscient and definitely knows the mind of an artist.
- 1:31:30 -- Oh.. oooooh this has a completely different meaning, knowing how University of California, Berkeley has changed. A lot.
- 1:34:45 -- Walt Whitman
- 1:39:30 -- Yeah, I see the underlying biology.
- 1:41:15 -- Haldol = Haloperidol
- 1:43:30 -- Narcissism
1:45:30 -- Begging
- 1:47:15 -- Bobby Driscoll
- 1:48:15 -- So their mother is messed up, or did that come with age?
Everything has to be black and white! Everything has to be old fashioned.
-- His daughter.
- 1:50:15 -- The son is lucky his genetics got stabilized by his mother, but maybe he'll be go mad in his old age.