there's much more to come
Ancient notes from the various iterations of this web browser:
- 2006-09-17 - Gecko/20060917 Firefox/184.108.40.206 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2006-01-09 - 1.5 on PCLinuxOS 0.92
- 2005-11-11 - Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.6 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2 on PCLinuxOS (version not recorded)
- 2004-11-07 - Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 on (distribution not recorded)
- (date unknown) - Firebird - (version unknown) on (distribution not recorded)
- (date unknown) - 0.8 on Windows (version not recorded)
- (date unknown) - 0.8 on Linux on (distribution not recorded)
- (date unknown) - 0.8 on (distribution not recorded)
I used earlier versions, but notes have not been discovered yet.
- 1 2006-01-09 - 1.5
- 2 2006-09-17 - Gecko/20060917 Firefox/220.127.116.11
- 3 2005-11-11 - Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
- 4 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.6
- 5 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4
- 6 2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2
- 7 2004-11-07 - Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
- 8 (date unknown) - Firebird - (version unknown)
- 9 (date unknown) - 0.8 on Windows
- 10 (date unknown) - 0.8 on Linux
- 11 (date unknown) - 0.8
2006-01-09 - 1.5 ∞
Firefox 1.5 is godlike. Holy crap it's changing the way I use my computer. The speed difference is not just noticible, it's astounding. My entire computer is getting faster and faster over time. Open source software rocks. PCLinuxOS 0.92 is also to blame for the speed improvement.
- Bug #252371 - incremental find/search in page does not find/highlight text in textarea/form/edit/text entry boxes has been a SERIOUS annoyance for a very very long time now. This particular report was from 2004-08-02 but the problem is older. This issue has been compounded by my use of a Wiki and especially for editing particularly long documents.
- 2018-04-13 - Some research shows that 189039 was filed 2003-01-14.
- The Search Text Area bookmarklet is especially useful.
See also Retro Find, which reverts the find bar in Firefox to its original find dialog.. which can search within text fields. I'm using this extension now. It's works wonderfully.
Apparently politics or some such is holding up the repair of the existing search functionality. I'm just happy that I have a solution.
2006-09-17 - Gecko/20060917 Firefox/18.104.22.168 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20060917 Firefox/126.96.36.199
Bug: When the downloads window is open, and a download is finished, the focus disappears from an edit box.
2005-11-11 - Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Intermittant 1.0.7 bug --
spaceor accesskeys don't always work
Ctrl-clickto have a page load in a new tab, then
ctrl-tab.. sometimes it'll stick and require a second
control-tabto get past it..
- This has been a SERIOUS annoyance for a very very long time now. It's been compounded by my use of a Wiki and especially for editing very long documents.
- This is solved by a less-capable search function. Search/replace doesn't exist
-- The Search Text Area bookmarklet
-- Retro Find is preferred. It reverts the find bar in Firefox to its original find dialog.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20060308105642/http://www.legege.com/mozilla/searchwp.php -- Another extension which is a good solution.
Firefox unresponsive script ∞
This is a serious annoyance!
about:config -- Increase
10isn't long enough for significant uploads.
999works, although all tabs in all windows in all browsers will hang. Absolutely pathetic.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20060201 Firefox/184.108.40.206
Freezes when uploading large files and displaying this error. Very very frustrating.
Issues recently fixed ∞
- Finally, links only become visited when the page successfully loads!
- 1.0.7 had a bug where it would crash when pasting content into an edit box which contains tabs, where cursoring over the tabs crashes.
A legitimate preference dialogue now allows one to force windows to open in a new tab.
- Previously, I needed to visit about:config and
- I believe this is default in 1.0.2, but I was forced to go into tools > options > advanced > tabbed browsing to set it there.
- Previously, I needed to visit about:config and
2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.6 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.6
It pisses me off to no end that Firefox doesn't properly change the focus of hotkeys when I switch tabs. I'm constantly edited other tabs and the like with MediaWiki's hotkeys. Argh!
2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4
- Cannot download two movies of the same name from two separate servers. Sad.
"sticking" windows has been a (known) problem for years.
- I still have to
control-wtwice to close some windows.
- I silll have to
shift-tabto switch between some windows.
- I still have to
I still have issues with the current window not being focused, and so actions like
alt-ffor MediaWiki's hop to "find" will be working on the wrong window. It sucks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050322 Firefox/1.0.2
nothing new to note
2005-03-17 - Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2
The font looks odd. It could just be pclos. "m" is chopped off on the right-hand side.
2004-11-07 - Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 ∞
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
I keep getting annoyed by those fucking file handling dialogues.. setting a default does not stick.
- I'm unsure if this still applies for 1.0.2
A picture which is also a link: Be able to pull up the properties, and have it include the location of the picture. There is presently no way (other than viewing source) to determine the picture's location. Sad.
- Fixed in 1.0.2
(date unknown) - Firebird - (version unknown) ∞
ctrl-tabissues are caused by
ctrlnot being recognized, and just having tab sent.
- I keep getting spammed yes/no to have my passwords remembered. I want to be able to say "no, never".
- Adding a new bookmark into the sidebar bookmarks list often hops the list down to the bottom of the page. Also, the folder gets added to the bottom of the current folder, not underneath the entry clicked on.
right-clickthe bookmark sidebar and the menu is not underlined.
one time, I
ctrl-clicked a picture link, then
ctrl-tabbed quick, and it brought me to the location bar.
- once I regularly
clicked a link and
ctrl-tabbed and it did the same.
- once I regularly
(date unknown) - 0.8 on Windows ∞
Stuff to configure ∞
Of course these issues are my fault, for wanting more-different-sane defaults.. sigh.
- Downloads should be a sidebar, not a popup. Sigh.
Fucking braindead mimetypes. What the hell are they thinking?
- A movie downloads before the default application is launched.
God, all the right-click menu hotkeys aren't what I'm used to.
- Aren't these user-definable?
c-- there are two hotkey items. Isn't this a hanging offense?
- Mimetypes should have a separate option to download the file first before launching, or pass the url to a program/whatever. Sigh.
- The mimetypes list in preferences doesn't allow column-resizes to show a longer extension name, like "mpeg". Sigh.
When loading other tabs in the background, and I
control-tabto get to them.. I get stuck on them.
- This is a very old problem.
- Workaround: Click on the page, and then
control-tabworks as expected.
- Workaround: Wait for the page to load.
- Acts odd with
- When tabbed to a button, pressing
spacedoes not depress the button -- it just activates it.
- No taskbar or program (top left, on toolbar) icon.
- Cannot search within one of these editor panes. Grr!!
shift-control-tabneeds to be done twice to get to the previous tab. Sad.
(date unknown) - 0.8 on Linux ∞
right-clickwhen a lot of tabs are still loading.
(date unknown) - 0.8 ∞
I couldn't actually use this program because of fucked up mimetype/download issues.
right-clickon a tab for 'duplicate tab'
- possibly add to the clone window extension.
control-shift-clickshould send a page to the background, regular
control-clickshould make it a new tab, and go there. I want it the opposite way of what it currently is.