3d editing: Said to be very difficult to use, and it is. There is an argument that in mastering it one gains a huge set of capabilities with one tool. I was unable to get that far.
Video editing: Defaults are stupid and features are missing. Maybe it'll be passable in a few years.
It has a portable zip, with no install required. Yay!
- By Blender Guru
- 2021-03-21 - 2.92 on Windows 10
- 2021-03-21 - 2.83.13 LTS on Windows 10
- 2016-06-23 - 2.77a on Windows 10
2021-03-21 - 2.92 ∞
Attempts to download the portable version just redirected me to the thank you page.
I ended up figuring out how to get it myself via https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/graphics/blender/release/Blender2.92/
- Video and audio tracks are imported separately and are not grouped together.
It doesn't have snapping?
- Oh dear, this doesn't look good.
- Oh, I have to hold
controlwhile moving. Well that's a backwards default. I wonder if there's a preference for this.
- Does not have H.265 support.
middle-clicklets you scroll arbitrarily, except when you get too high or low it wraps where your mouse is. What the fuck.
- I can't click somewhere arbitrarily and have my play bar go there. I have to click the timeline.
When I click the timeline to move the play bar, and press
space, it goes to the beginning. What the fuck.
- How do I play a video?
- At the bottom-right, I have to manipulate the Start and "En" times to select an area to work with. Why?
- Oh, it doesn't handle videos at different framerates? Sigh.
- I have to manually select every audio track and, on the right, click "Display Waveform".
- How do I have a video clip display a thumbnail representing where in the clip it is? I want these strips to be a bunch of images.
Oh, I supposedly hold
left-clickan edge to change its size, but that doesn't work.
Okay, this is garbage. Defaults are stupid and features are missing.
2021-03-21 - 2.83.13 LTS ∞
- Several themes have blurry fonts.
- Wow, it can let me go immediately into the video editing mode.
When selecting media..
- .. how do I drop them into my timeline?
- .. how do I preview them?
- Oh.. it somehow worked after a while.
I dropped in a 640x480 video and it mangled the aspect ratio because it's 1920x1080. Wait.. do they still not support using video clips of multiple sizes?
Well shit.. let me try getting the newer version.
2016-06-23 - 2.77a ∞
2015-05-02 - 2.74 ∞
FAIL - The interface is abysmal. Several significant features are buried. I spent bit of time one day, took a break then spent some more time another day, and my initial impression has not improved. Blender needs to learn from, say, inkscape. Basic object manipulation is astoundingly blisteringly ridiculous.
Try resizing the default cube so it's the dimensions of the grid it's on. Just try. It's so motherfucking difficult. The grid seems to be 2x2 by default. Why?
How do I cube?
- I made one and was fiddling and it became this really fucked up shape with a curve down one side and a corner off in a strange direction.
I really fucking hate stretching an object out into two different directions.
- Each axis needs an arrow pointing in either direction.
Holding control locks an item when moving and resizing to "snap to grid".
- This doesn't seem to actually work. It snaps to something, I just don't know what.
- I'm expecting simple "oi dude, the dimensions of the cube are x/y/z and its location is x/y/z, like in other programs.. something simple in the bottom-left corner.. but .. nope.
I figured out how I made the broken lopsided cube.
- Press tab, select one of the obnoxiously barely-visible points on it's corners, move the point.
- I've no clue how to manually return it to it's normal shape.
The "save" dialog is not normal, so it's confusing.
- God damn it's fast to load.
- It feels fast in general.
- There's no "x" to dismiss the intro dialog.
control-wprompts to save over. Wut.
Its interface isn't standard. They're using their own GUI stuff.
- Their file browser isn't standard, so I lose stuff like alt-up or backspace to go up a directory, and alt-left to go back in history. Inconvenient.
The mouse can wrap around up/down, at least in
particle_effects_effector.blendfrom their test suite.
cannedmushrooms tutorial notes ∞
His home website is broken.
- Download it to your Desktop so it's easy to find.
- (Also works for Maya)
- File > User Preferences > Input > Import Key Configuration -- select
welshkeyboard.py(wherever you downloaded it)
- Using a different keyboard layout seems to help a lot. Unfortunately all their documentation assumes the defaults, so it becomes useless. One would think that I'd just use their defaults, but they're fucking crazy.
I changed my pivot center, and now I cannot change it back to normal no matter which of them I choose. What the fuck.
- This is a side-effect of the joining un-joining process. Object > Transform > Origin to Geometry
- This is ridiculous.
l(ell) does not open up that menu. Earlier, I believe he had pressing
popen a menu too.
Joining is fine, but un-joining is stupidly hard.
- Why isn't there a "just un-join the objects I have selected" function? Why must I enter a magical other mode, select a point and un-join that point?
- I made two objects, joined one to the other, moved them around, and now I have a fixed black spec floating around on the viewport.
I can't join two objects, then select another object and join it, and have that be brought into a three-object-join.
Usage and Troubleshooting ∞