- I played with various distributions after this, and ended up with Lubuntu
- As of 2016-04-18 there is some activity again, but they are a ways away from anything release-quality.
- How I discovered Unity Linux
- Near the end, they transitioned to use packages from Mandriva's repository.
I used to use various other distributions, mainly PCLinuxOS.
alpha 2 ∞
This was before the Mandriva repository transition.
passwd unity-installer reboot
smart-setup smart update && smart-upgrade smart install \ task-x11 task-x11-extras \ acpi \ smart-gui \ unity-control \ ` # ` smart install ati smart install openbox lxpanel smart install gdm # I'd rather use smart drakx11 startx mcc # bugged, doesn't start
- Configure your computer
Setup graphical server
Setup dsplay manager
- login manager
- this only understands gdm, boo
- login manager
- I had issues using unetbootin, I dunno.
- Did I fuck up the bootloader, or is it not properly working for adding...
- ACPI warning/error
- Failed to reboot, I did a SysRq-reisub
- First bootup wanted to check a big partition, and there was no facility to skip... Argh.
smart-setupfucks up the console upon exit.
smart install unity-controlcomplained about a missing webkit...
drakx11- I couldn't figure out video. It would just hang my computer when testing - SysRq-reisub
- Removed ati, didn't help...
- Couldn't reinstall ati, claimed
name or service not knownon a package.
- Tried all kinds of video changes, and nothing fucking works.
- TODO - Copy xorg.conf from my working setup!
- Needed fglrx (the proprietary ati)
smart install atiworked this time...
Failed to load module fglrxdrm
- Seems independant of the xorg.conf... I don't understand.
Keeps trying to fsck one of my partitions, and claims it's mounted when it's clean and is not mounted.
drakx11also locks up my working Unity install
- Ssd is ext2? maybe that's what got fucked up? mounting it ext4, works, maybe fsck made it ext2?
unity0control missing webkitis known and _still_ unfixed. sigh.
- Without running
drakx121, gdm boots up beautifully! Logging in, X works!
atermis a nice light terminal
suworks again, yay!
- yes, I would later do this and it works perfectly.
ATI proprietary drivers just hang
- Installing them fucks the system?
- Somehow wow healed. Nope, shit ftp.
- Wow audio is a mystery.
Restored my wow Config.wtf, fixed this.
At one point I had a big issue auto-detecting newly-attached devices. Checking my BIOS and setting "AHCI mode" solved that.
2011-07-07 unity-i586-20110119 alpha success ∞
- Downloaded ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/unity/isos/Alpha-2011/unity-i586-20110119.iso
- Downloaded ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/unity/isos/Alpha-2011/unity-i586-20110119.md5
md5sum -c unity-i586-20110119.md5
- used unetbootin to put the iso on an sd card
- booted on sd
wget dl.dropbox.com/u/2984955/safe_upgrade.sh chmod 755 ./safe_upgrade.sh ./safe_upgrade.sh
.. gave me some errors. I think the same as before:
Quote:rpmdb: unrecognized name-value pair: set_create_dir error: db4 error(22) from dbenv->open: Invalid argument
- Rebooted, the greeter was crashing like before.
- Went to a console
smart update(found no new packages)
smart upgrade- worked, but paused and started thrashing my hdd in the 'preparing' stage, on libdrm2. This took _minutes_ and then continued as usual and at a normal speed.
- Near the end of that smart upgrade, my screen flickered, the upgrade continued for a few packages and then my screen went blank with a cursor at the top-left. There was lots of hdd activity and I just waited for it to stop.
- My keyboard was locked (no numlock use), but I did a SysRq-r and could use it again.
- Did a SysRq-s to sync, it just flashed my HDD once, so everything was already written to disk.
- SysRq-reisub to reboot.
- Booted into a normal login screen this time
- Didn't log in, went to the console for a
smart upgrade. It caught some unfinished upgrades.
smart update && smart upgradeworked and found no new packages to process.
Everything looks healthy!
[unfortunately the video drivers were using some sort of fallback and were slow, so stuff like WoW/Wine wouldn't work.. this is still to be troubleshooted]
2011-07-07 - using an alpha ∞
- Did the same explosion
- Reboot, greeter crashing
smart updatefound no new packages
smart upgradestarted thrading my hdd in 'preparing'
- libdrm2 took minutes, then continued as usual.
- Near the end, my screen flickered then was cleared, with the cursor at the top-left. Lots of hdd activity. I waited for it to stop.
- Keyboard locked, but SysRq-r let me use
numlock. I couldn't do anything else.
- Did SysRq-reisub to reboot
- Booted into a login screen this time
- console >
smart upgradecaught some unfinished upgrades
2011-07-07 - unetbootin, usb, cli 2010.2 ∞
Has no hint on how to login, or what password to use, or the install procedure.
- I remembered that it is a script called
- I remembered that it is a script called
- Gorgeous text installer
After the copy it exploded
2011-07-07 - unetbootin, usb, cli 2010.2 64bit ∞
- UNetbootin silently screwed up, the USB was not bootable!
- Reformatted the USB and retried
- Tried the unetbootin 'copy to ram'
- Black screen for a while, but it worked.
- Previous version I used didn't catch the resolution of my new video card, but this one does.
- Unity installer - after clicking 'next', gives me a blank grey screen for a long while.
- Grey stripe at the bottom toolbar, maybe because the time/date is taking two lines.
- Nasty xterm font, bold is better but too 'tall'.
- The delay is probably 'Computing the size of the Microsoft Windows(r) partition' because it delays a fucking long time again. Why is it calculating? What's it doing?
- LILO install fails, _still_.
- GRUB doesn't pick up on my /dev/sda whole disk = one partition.
- LXPanel still has old segfault issues.
- I screwed with locales and broke the install so horribly that I couldn't log in as root to re-install them. Luckily I had a term still looged in.
- Installed 'audit'
So it looked like the setup is fucked now. Reinstalling.
2011-07-07 - i586 via unetbootin ∞
- It's doing everything as ext2 if done from empty partitions.
- Fucking still bails when exiting various sub-menus/sections of the installer.
- Hung trying to reboot. I hope the post-install worked.
- .. seems to have worked.
- rsync not installed by default. Eww, that would be horrible for system-restoration.
- cfdisk not installed by default. Seriously? Needed to install
scsiaddneeded an install from source. Compiled without a problem.
- I found a nice script which also works, most of the time. It's unfortunately not good enough to replace the proper program though.
Wine is GREAT. Holy fucking shit hot damn.
- Has an ugly cursor issue. setting 'hardware cursor' makes it look good, but it's slow and also has the linux mouse pointer overtop [edit: this issue is described in greater detail in Improving World of Warcraft performance on Linux.
- Needs nano syntax highlighting
- Disable pc speaker [done]
- Root zsh stuff / other root stuff -- can use gksu
~stuff which should also be moved.
- [I have no clue what this means]
- Smart was fucked, so reinstalled
- 1600x1200x8 still not right.. it must be this video card
shift-numlockdoes mousekeys. I wish I knew that.. who in the hell put that in, with no message saying when it's turned on and how to turn it off?
On bootup: "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one."
- .. reinstalled
- 1280x1024x8 -> better, but not perfect
- Update, upgrade -> eventually died during the install
- Attempted an upgrade from the cli. also confirmed that the list of desired upgrades was included
- Says "aborted" after .xinitrc
- Exited x and retried
smart upgrade, seems to hang on 'computing transaction'
- .. gave up
[I'd later learn that this freeze is "normal" and it will eventually complete, although with the system is a semi-hung state]
"Copy to ram" explodes!
Probably 2010-rc1 or thereabouts.
- GRUB has no help
- Media check is missing from the CD
LILO is still in the installer. It fails to download and use it, and the entire install script aborts. Very bad.
- Still in 2010.1
- After booting up from a fresh install, the user setup has some bad engrish: "password should resist to basic attacks".
Video corruption in the firefox scroll bars.
- Not seen in 2010.1
Most man pages are fucked.
- Avidemux is gone? Is it in another channel?
- What's up with the PLF stuff, am I able to add it manually now?
- Still unable to just reboot after install.. need to actually shut down the system. That seems silly.
- Still have the bug when exiting one of the popup menus during the install. What a pain in the ass. Record it and report it.
/etc/asound.stateis probably old, check the mic and other settings and then back it up into my
- Be able to skip the bootloader installation
- The install should be "done" after the installer has concluded. It shouldn't need a reboot at that point.
- When booting up, I have to toggle numlock a bunch of times to get the system to actually do stuff. It seems to hang
waiting on a keypress.
The update screws my video up..
[ + ]