Disambiguation: Chromium (dietary mineral)
A web browser compiled from the released source of Google Chrome.
It's simplicity is overdone to the point of losing functionality. Some of its preferences are so wrong that I can't use it, and because it's inflexible I can't fix their mistakes.
I switched to Pale Moon.
2011-06-11 - (version not recorded), on (distribution not recorded)
- 1 Issues
- 1.1 Hierarchical Tabs
- 1.2 Cannot pageup/down in an edit field without moving the whole page
- 1.3 Control-W with one tab open closes the browser
- 1.4 Closing a browser window does not prompt the user
- 1.5 Side tabs
- 1.6 Image alt titles don't appear on mouseover
- 1.7 Cannot middle-click the scroll bar to hop
- 1.8 Cannot remove the close button on tabs
- 1.9 Bookmarks suck
- 1.10 Adjusting hotkeys
- 1.11 Edit, search and tab changing bug
- 1.12 Alt-F4, re-launch, shows just one blank tab
- 2 Extensions I use
- 3 Customization
- 4 Advanced
- 5 Advantages over Firefox
- 6 2011-06-11 - (version not recorded)
There is something very VERY wrong with Google's design choices. They're awkward and user-unfriendly. Google is hell-bent on making Chrome as fast as possible, even to the point of crippling functionality, but many UI issues shouldn't be excluded.
I wouldn't make as big a deal out of the issues, but Google doesn't even fix the most significant issues. This browser feels beta through and through.
Tested 2013-06-15, Version 25.0.1364.160 Ubuntu 13.04 (25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu3)
- Alt-Enter doesn't work, but then again F2 does.
- Wide YouTube videos (playlist) have a black box at the top-right.
- Has no hotkeys on any right-click menus. Seriously guys?
YouTube videos won't work half the time. I can't load a page, activate the flash plugin then skip ahead. Sometimes it won't load at all in the first place, some times it'll hang when I try to skip ahead. Sigh.
Hierarchical Tabs ∞
Cannot pageup/down in an edit field without moving the whole page ∞
I guess I'm the first person to use an edit box..
Control-W with one tab open closes the browser ∞
Google refuses to have a dialogue prompting the user.
Multiple users created extensions to solve this issue.
Closing a browser window does not prompt the user ∞
Google refuses to have a dialogue prompting the user.
A user had to solve this issue:
Closing while downloads are in progress does not prompt the user ∞
How fucking insane is that?
Side tabs ∞
I found two extensions which attempt to solve this problem. This one is quite good:
Sideways tree style tabs also implements hierarchical tabs.
This is another fundamental disconnect at Google.
Tabs shrink until they become unusable, and since everyone has a wide screen there is plenty of room for a vertical list.
Image alt titles don't appear on mouseover ∞
A user had to solve this issue.
Cannot middle-click the scroll bar to hop ∞
Left-clicking just jumps the document by one page. It's horribly slow.
In fact, if I'm in an edit box, and I middle click the scroll bar, it pastes the middle-click clipboard into the edit box. Sigh.
This was implemented in Chrome 53.0.2785.143 m (64-bit) or earlier.
Cannot remove the close button on tabs ∞
It's a waste of space. I middle-click or control-w to close tabs.
Bookmarks suck ∞
I once crashed the bookmark organizer just by making a folder and trying to move it.
No hotkeys in the duplicate bookmark dialogue ∞
When adding a duplicate bookmark, cannot
alt-r to remove the existing one(s).
I actually miss this a lot..
Adding a bookmark places it in the wrong folder ∞
It's amazingly annoying that when adding a bookmark it will drop it into some random place.
I think it's choosing the location you happened to have selected when last using the bookmark organizer.
It's fucking annoying as hell to lose bookmarks like this. Imagine having n-1 bookmarks and n-1 folders and going on a bookmarking spree n-1 days ago. One day when looking through bookmarks you'll see a pile of bookmarks that don't belong in a folder.. which should have been added to your universal inbox -- that being the root of the bookmarks tree.
Side bookmarks [unsolved] ∞
Google removed the so-called "buggy" code for vertical sidebar. Apparently they don't realise that horizontal space is cheap now that everyone has a wide screen.
The "organize bookmarks" feature is fair, but it's on a separate tab so it's obnoxious to use. It also doesn't display all bookmarks properly, instead hiding bookmarks until the user enters into a folder. A failure of functionality.
This is still unsolved. The "side tabs" issue is related, and the author of Sideways tree style tabs has bookmark functionality planned.
No bookmark separators ∞
Workaround: Chromium bookmark separators
Middle-click pastes bookmarks ∞
Apparently they're listening to the fucktarded Linux middle-click clipboard, and both pasting a bookmark and opening the current bookmark in a tab. Sigh.
Adjusting hotkeys ∞
TODO - I have some addons to check out. I use control-b to view bookmarks.. hey Google, how fucking strange is that?
Edit, search and tab changing bug ∞
With two tabs.
- An edit box.
- Any content.
View tab 1, with the edit box.
- Control-f and type anything arbitrary.
- Click in the edit box to place your cursor there.
- Control-tab to the second tab.
Control-tab back to the first tab.
The cursor is no longer in the edit box, but is instead in the search field.
I haven't bothered to check to see if this has been reported.
Alt-F4, re-launch, shows just one blank tab ∞
It's as though
"Settings > On start-up > Continue where I left off." is bugged.
Control-Shift-T will create a new popup with restored windows.
Extensions I use ∞
- advanced settings
- disable plugins
Flashblock-like setting ∞
- [x] Block all
Sandbox the entire fucking thing.
Advantages over Firefox ∞
Some notes on things I noticed while attempting to mimic my habits on Firefox.
Chromium is faster
- It could just be my mass of addons on Firefox though. More testing needs to be done.
- I can F2 to edit the name of a bookmark. Revolutionary!
- I don't need to reboot when adding/removing extensions.
I can control tab even after clicking on a flash video.
- However, I can't control-w or control-t or the like..
2011-06-11 - (version not recorded) ∞
- Doesn't properly offer to remember a password when the page redirects after login. Like when LOGGING INTO GOOGLE. Fucking idiots.
I have to reach for the mouse to get to the search field. Fuck that. (fixed 2013-06-15 or earlier)
- This has since been fixed.
- Has no hotkeys on the right-click menus.
- I have to reach for the mouse to get to the search field. Fuck that.
- I have to jump through hoops to implement a separator: Make my own html file and custom favicon. See Chromium bookmark separators.