This got posted here instead of mobygames because they own comments after they are posted. No thanks, I write for me or for free.
Okami is a PS/2 game. It's an action/adventure type game, with an expansive world to explore, a huge set of skills, a lot of things to do .. and is just generally fun.
Properly titled Ōkami
- It was ported to the Wii with widescreen and nunchuck support.
It was ported to the PC and is available on Steam.
- Unique graphics. Absolutely top-notch even on a fuzzy TV screen. This style of graphics will NEVER look old.
- The distances and perspectives are wonderful. It's a full rich world.
- Absolutely childishly fun. I was entertained to the point of being gleeful at some points.
- Running and picking up speed is really nice. The trail of grass and flowers, or little lillypads never gets tiring.
- I know a six year old who picked this up and fell in love with it. She started out having trouble even controlling the character, and then was able to do full brush techniques, remember locations, fight hard battles, etc. This isn't a kids game, but it's just that enthralling.
Amazingly long long game with a staggeringly huge world.
- Being forced to go through minigames like digging and fishing really sucked when I was new at those things. Once I got expertise, those things were merely time consuming and annoying.
- The walls ARE THE MOST HORRIFYING THING EVER. I had to cheat and it still took me an hour to get past the 8-dot wall.
- Missing a slash or circle or whatever, and being forced to re-do all of a "playable cutscene" really sucks.
- One time I got lost, and it took me a very long time to figure out how to get back on track for the storyline. This game will give you obvious hints, but if you put the game down and pick it up much later you will forget the hints and there will never be another hint to set you back on course.
- The camera following is blinking stupid sometimes, but I like the Halo-style controls.
- The fights are not NEARLY hard enough for me. Even the "demon gate" fights were complete pushovers. There needs to be at least a few difficulty levels over its default.
- I really hate games with invisible walls. It just ticks me off.
- A couple of the stray beads are really ridiculously hidden and you need to cheat to even know about them. I also dislike that you may think some beads are attainable early on when they're actually not - you have to go through a huge storyline before you can get them. I was running around when I was young looking through corners and such because I thought they would be buried in a chest somewhere.
- The unlocked stuff after you finish the game once was really wonderful to see. Replayability is kindof possible. I just wish I could have a much harder game the second time around.
The storyline is .. just one line. There are no variations in how you do things.
Get it or I kill you.
Even though I have a lot of "negative" things to say, this is easily my favourite game on the PS/2 if not my favourite of all time.