An incredibly capable (and therefore very convoluted) image editor.
I use this:
- For converting .svg files to .jpg or .png
- (On Windows For editing .png files which have transparency, since
mspaint.execan't do that.
- For importing a page from a PDF, as an image.
- For transparent backgrounds
GNU Image Manipulation Program
- 2019-03-14 - 2.10.8 on Windows 10
- 2018-07-11 - 2.10.4 on Windows 10 via Chocolatey
- 2018-04-02 - 126.96.36.19971021 on Windows 10 via Chocolatey
- 2017-11-23 - 2.8.22 on Windows 10
- 2017-10-05 - 2.8.22 on Windows 10 via Chocolatey
- 2016-10-16 - 2.8.18 on Windows 10
- 2016-04-01 - 2.8.6 on Slackware 14.1
- 2016-02-16 - Windows/2.8.16 on Windows 10
- 2016-02-16 - Windows/2.8.14 on Windows 10
- 2016-03-26 - 2.8.10 Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
I've had it, and hated it, on earlier versions of Linux.
2019-03-14 - 2.10.8 ∞
I don't know where to begin to express my dissatisfaction at how abhorrent the UI is.
Just from the last five minutes..
- The hotkey settings are not within preferences.
ashortcut for _H_elp > _A_bout doesn't exist.
- Windows > Hide Docks should be in the View menu.
tabfor hiding the docks.
- Fucking press
tabby mistake and go hunting for 10 minutes to figure out why the interface turned off. Then search the internet, then look again, then eat lunch, then look again. Futilely look into settings to reset the UI. Look again, bump into a feature that might do it, toggle thing after thing before getting lucky. Accidentally tab
taband repeat all steps before memorizing that the
tabkey simply must not be pressed in GIMP. Fuck you, GIMP.
- Fucking press
- Why is Python-Fu in the Filters menu?
Where do I get examples and documentation for Python-Fu?
- Within the console is a "Browse" feature (which is a really stupid place to put it) is really awful.
Python-Fu sucks ∞
- Shit documentation
- Constantly gives references to deprecated things. Just have a toggle so I can hide all of them.
- Give examples, god dammit.
- Half the time I have no idea what a thing means or how to use it. Fucking give examples!
- Is there a website for this? Is there a community for this? Am I the first person to use this feature? Some of these features haven't been looked at since the 90s, and no I'm not joking.
2015-05-16 - probably v2.8.14, on Windows 8 ∞
- The first time it is launched it will complete its installation. Its first launch will be slow because of this. Don't worry, GIMP isn't as terribad as it used to be.
Gimp's multiple windows IS FUCKING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG. It's the main reason I've long-despised it.
- Windows > Single-Window Mode