A space-western-esque MMORPG whose most interesting elements are movement in combat and a light/comedic tone. Oh, and player housing for the girls.
Meh. Just meh. I gave this a good shot, but the gameplay and interface are just shit.
I got to level 10. TEN and gave up. It was quite fun until I did a dungeon. I was told to keep playing until I did one, and .. well.. it failed miserably.
Reasons why I can't play this game. ∞
- Their website doesn't fucking work!
- An install time that rivals Windows 10.
- I have to copy-paste my rather complex password every time I log in. Oh god oh god I hate this.
- Extremely high barrier for entry, with many confusing game elements and UI.
- Hotkeys are all manner of broken.
- The interface is abysmal for many things, as revealed by the problem of hiding their shitty helms.
- Box over head sucks. I keep mistakenly picking them up, and having to go back to town to turn these in to get rid of this really sucks. I really like settlers, but I motherfucking hate this box thing. I can't redo that path can I?
- Healing sucks. This is what murdered this game for me.
- Are there gear sets? There's easy spec swapping..
Settlers are fun, then they get boring as fuck. I guess I have to do, maybe, the killing path thing?
- Hotkeys are all fucked up.. I can't have things like
C-reven though it accepts it in the interface.
- Holy sweet mother fucking of hell it's impossible to heal. I mean jesus fucking christ on a crutch.
- It sucks having a permanent crate over my head when I don't know where to turn it in.. or if the npc is no longer accepting them for unknown reasons.
Don't display the embarrasing head piece
- View the character, which is
pfor some reason.
- Change the right dropdown to 'costumes'
- Select costume 1
- Click 'open holo-wardrobe'
- Click the eye next to your head piece.
- Why there isn't a fucking checkbox next to your head piece in your character panel thingy is beyond me.
- View the character, which is
- Are there gear sets? Because having to keep another set of gear in my bag and having to manually wear each and every piece every time I want to change roles is fucking stupid.
fat a tradeskill node does nothing. If I have to go way the hell back to town to buy a tool, then manually equip it every time I want to use a node, then there's no fucking way in hell I'll ever do anything of the sort.
Grey items. Stop with the grey items. Who cares. This needs a vendor addon.
- I need to find some bag addon to move grey items away.
- There's gear durability? Lame. Yet another mechanic which needs an addon to automatically repair.
- Opening the map (
m) does not move it to reveal the location of the character's arrow. Ugh.
- The quest log at the right got retardedly complex.
Have I been switching zones before completing quests?
- It doesn't remember my password. =(
- Nice hamster-wheel animation with their "Network Error: Unable to Connect" message.
- The hamster wheel doesn't seem to mean anything. I don't think it's retrying. So I'm occasionally aborting to try again. I do this by pressing enter. Pressing escape will exit the whole game.
- Welp, I can't connect.
- Now I get "No realms are available at this time".
- Now I get Invalid Login Token.
- The initial launch screen logs in correctly, but it's the proper full-screen game which doesn't work.
- Yay, it worked after a while.
- The login bar is 100% but nothing is happening. I should have disabled music in the background when I had the chance..
- I'm returned to the character selection screen. Another attempt has the same pause. Free to play started on 2015-09-30, so I suppose this issues are with popularity.. yay?
- Needs a search feature.
- I cannot have modifiers that include shift. Boo.
- I can't map Inventory to numpad del. It does nothing.
- The sections should be collapsed by default.
- The sections should remember their collapsed-state. Exiting the keybindings interface then returning re-opens everything.
- There should be tabs or some other way to easily get to the different sections.
- I don't appear to be able to bind any of my keypad buttons. Binding works, but later pressing the key does nothing.
- I don't want to fucking bind a reward to my character, STOP FLASHING THAT SHIT IN MY FACE!
- I got kicked to the character selection screen right in the middle of combat. Bah.
The character selection screen..
- Does not let me cursor up/down to switch to another character.
- Does not let me press enter to enter the game with the selected character.
- Does not let me double-click to enter the game with the double-clicked character.
- Boy does that epic load screen music get tiring fast.
- Welp, I give up. I can't get back in.
- I got into a queue to log in and after a very long time it worked.
- The windowed mode is wonderful. I can resize it and it figured itself out without stretching! This will be wonderful for watching movies while playing.
- Aww, I was foolish enough to try to change zones. =(
- I played quite a bit more, but there was a server restart, and I got kicked off. =(
To hide the helm:
- Go to the character screen (todo - hotkey)
- Select the wardrobe thingy (todo)
- Equip costume set 1 (todo)
- De-select the helm (todo)
- I played with an engineer scientist, but it turns out that a medic settler is mad fun. I feel powerful and useful since maybe level 6. I prefer the medic's perspective-based stuff, rather than the engineer's robot bombardment which requires me to facetank things to make sure all splash damage hits with every shot.
- Dammit, I got tricked into another cutscene/loading screen, and got kicked out of the game.
- Why are there early-game vendors anyways? Their stuff sucks.
- I bought cooking recipes, thinking I could learn them. Apparently I have to learn some sort of cooking skill somewhere else first, and possibly level it. Nothing of the sort was introduced to me at any point.
There are resource/skill notes which I can't interact with, saying I need some skill or other. No information has been given as to what any of that is.
- Oh, I get trade skills really late on. How annoying.
2015-10-01 - Wildstar Reloaded (free-to-play) impressions ∞
Their website login is broken. I get ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap.jpg.
- It's a good thing I already had a login from way back when, and that still works.
HOLY FUCK IT TOOK FOREVER TO INSTALL!
- This is so serious a problem that the game is, right now, an utter abysmal failure if this is the same for everyone. Who would want to play when it takes HOURS to install in the first place?! Letalone the login issue..
Great opening cinematic.
- Now I actually understand what the hell is going on and why the planet would be valuable enough to fight over. Why in the motherfucking hell isn't that cinematic the default video on their YouTube channel?
- Being able to skip elements of the tutorial by declaring my player experience level is wonderful. More games need to be this adult to their playerbase.
Class videos are wonderful
- But I also want exhaustive technical info.
- It would be cool if the videos were specific to the race I had chosen.
- When interested in another class, being reminded that I can pick another race is great.
- I don't like that I can't view my hair style from a more upward angle.. the angle I'd be looking down at my character with.
- From the stopped position, holding right-click and then tapping B5 sometimes just moves forward a little bit before giving up. I'm expecting it to operate the same as pressing B5, which is to begin auto-running.
The macari cutscene progression is kindof odd. It has my perspective then finishes with that woman's.
- If you exit then re-enter the settings panel, your previous position is not remembered.
- There is no detailed description of items.
The ability queue is an interesting idea, but I think I'd rather keep it to, say, two. The minimum is ten.
I want a setting to interact on left-click. I couldn't find one.
- Ooh, pressing 'f' to do it without even needing to click it is even better.
- There is a number next to the quest. It should be on the right.
- The number next to the quest ought to be pressable to get into that quest. For example, the first quest has (1) but pressing 1 attacks.
how do I dash? double-taps dodge
- Oh, it's called "sprint", and it's automatic. But I remember seeing someone moving faster than me in the earlier part of things.
- I was punished for opening some login reward stuff, and now I have less inventory space.
What do I do with costume items?
- Unlocking them doesn't get rid of them from my inventory, putting them in some sort of hammer space to be applied to an item or equipment slot.. however costume pieces work.
- Control-click should preview an item. Instead it pulls up a menu and I have to click. Ugh.
- Windows like the dressing room don't have a top bar for me to click-drag the window.
- The constant little dash icon in the middle-left of my screen is all manner of fucking distracting.
- The short quest text makes me want to actually read things.
- There are many level rewards which when clicked to 'view unlock'.. just disappear from the list.
lvl3 - I unlocked ground mounts, but I either have no mount or I can't mount for some other reason.
- I would later learn that one has to buy mounts. From the store with money, or how? Having to acquire one by some unknown method is fucking lame. This needs an explanation.
- Supposedly setting up two-step authentication gives a mount. I'm also told that WinAuth will work as a software solution.
- I love the muzac in the wardrobe/store UI.
- Music transitions are perfect fades.
- NPCs keep communicating with my complete first and last names, which is jarring.
- Costume items just seem punishing.. I have to unlock them, or delete them.. they're taking up what appears to be very limited bag space.
How do I salvage things? There was a tutorial thingy, but the feature stays greyed out.
- Oh! At level eight it finally gives me the actual ability. How strange.
- Nonsense achievements defeat the purpose.
- What do I do with a life rune? This sort of stuff needs to be saved for late-game.
- The time delay before being able to click some buttons is a great way of preventing mis-clicks.
- Characters only do meaningful damage once they get their fourth ability. This isn't giving a very good impression of the classes, especially something perceived as "weak" like the medic.
The ability loadout concept is nice, but it's WILDLY complex. As a new player, it was shockingly overwhelming. Intimidating to say the least. It absolutely needs to be streamlined.
Beta impressions ∞
- I played during the open beta and was unimpressed enough to uninstall without too much investigation. It was, at best, "cute".
- I don't recall having the performance issues others spoke of. I might have even been running it on Wine, although I think I had Windows XP back then. I can't remember.
Is there no gameplay difference between the races? Different stats, or just class restrictions?
Very early impressions ∞
- I was excited when I first learned about Wildstar and did a bit of research.
- Housing is one big fat RP girl-friendly yawn. I really hate when games sink valuable resources into complete bullshit when they can be focusing on what actually matters: gameplay.
- A game with more furries. Boo.
- However, I've since learned that it's important to make things girl-friendly. I guess. Cutscenes, yay? Meh.
I was intrigued at the engineer and medic. The path idea was also quite interesting to me.