This is not quite a live projects -- there's lots to learn!
This is primarily for movie-DVDs, with instructions for Linux.
- Backup discs you own, before disc rot sets in.
Rip discs and keep them safe
- e.g. parents with little kids (or drunken friends) who damage discs.
Playing on DVD-driveless devices
- (or devices where the DVD player has stopped working)
- Such as a phone or portable media player.
- e.g. a portable player for road trips.
See also Video downmixing
DVDFab on Windows seems to be the right way to go.