I was invited to the closed beta in 2014-06-15. I tried it for maybe 45 minutes before throwing my hands up in complete disgust.
I have no interest in this now that EverQuest Next has been aborted.
Formerly EverQuest Landmark
I was invited to the closed beta. I tried it for maybe 45 minutes before throwing my hands up in complete disgust.
Downloading the client required me to search around until I found a direct download thread. The instructions given to me in the closed beta acceptance email were wrong. I learned that this had been the case since alpha. Seriously. This is just bad.
- I initially start up, and I get a "Getting Started" window with a loading screen that does nothing for a very long time.
- The initial settings don't guess very well, giving me super-ultra settings with 3 fps. I had to knock my graphics settings down to next to nothing and play windowed in order to get decent gameplay. Ouch.
- There are no particularly-advanced graphics settings. There's no option to turn shadows completely off. This is probably the biggest offender for shitty fps.
- Fullscreen windowed won't let me tab out to another program.
- There is no window overlapping stacking functionality. So I cannot F2 (options) and click on that window to have it go overtop of the getting started welcome screen.
- There is no q/e to strafe.
- I can't change my key bindings.
- The loot log appends an exclamation point as though collecting dirt were exciting.
- There is stone floating on top of dirt, but after mining downish for almost a half an hour I never found rock again.
- The targeting circle is nearly invisible.
- It takes forever to wind up and begin using the pick, and that's really annoying.
- I can't find a tree to chop down. Fail.
- I spent a half hour digging straight down and never found copper. Fail.
- It takes *forever* to quit the game.
I uninstalled it, and it left over 9GB of files behind.
Aside from the difficulty with finding the beta client download link, overall I had a good impression with the install/update experience. The game itself is beautiful until it actually loads, where its graphics grind it to a standstill.
The controls could have been better, the gameplay is awkward and .. I am unable to see the point. I'm given a goal to reach, but have no idea how to go about reaching it. I have to chop one single tree down, but I have no idea where to look. I have to mine minerals, and I have no idea where to go or what they look like.
Why not just give players a claim to begin with, and some starting materials and have them ACTUALLY BEGIN THE MAIN POINT OF THE FUCKING GAME. I'm really disappointed that my initial experience was this bad.
Even if the interface and general experience were improved, I'd have to spend a thousand dollars on new computer parts to play this. Not a chance.
If this is how Landmark is, then I guess I can't play EverQuest Next either.