A BitTorrent client.
I used to love it, but it gave up Gnutella functionality so it's useless. I wonder if old versions are still good..
It was originally a fork of LimeWire [ 1 ] That page may also have relevant notes.
- 2020-01-04 - 6.8.3 build 291 on Debian 10.1.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1
- 2011-10-02 - 4.18.6 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2010-05-18 - 4.20.6 under Unity Linux 2010 rc1 64bit
2009-08-23 - 4.18.1 on Unity Linux 0.99-alpha2
- Java 1.6.0_0
- 2009-07-19 - 4.18.0 on Unity Linux 0.99-alpha1
- (date not recorded) - 4.17 on PCLinuxOS 2007-TR4 (probably)
- I search for bogus strings to find the bots and ban them.
TODO - Make a script wrapping FrostWire. On exit, put up a nice prompt to delete the Incomplete folder.
- NOTE: Needs to be tested, because I think FrostWire claims some downloads are 100% but doesn't properly move them to the right directory. I've had 0-byte files appear in my completed folder. Boo. Such a shitty program. Find a new one.. =/
2020-01-04 - 6.8.3 build 291 ∞
FrostWire version 6.8.3 build 291
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Debian 11.0.5 Oracle Corporation
- Boy has it been a long time..
- God it's ugly.
- During setup, "Miscellaneous Settings" is blank.
alt-tabto and from this program won't work..
- God it's awkward.
Are these ads? No thanks.
BitTorrent only now.. and the interface is shit for that. ugh. I guess this would be good for using search functionality, but this is definitely not for me any more.
I'd bet the old versions would still be useful.. is
2011-10-02 - 4.18.6 ∞
When changing the preferences for
Tools > Options > Saving
"You can specify a download location for each media type."
Changing things from a now-nonexistant folder to something new doesn't show a change in the list until you 'ok' out of the options window.
2009-07-19 - 4.18.0 ∞
I installed Java from their website: www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp
Then I had to:
I unpacked the Frostwire
.tar and I just run
./runFrostwire.sh ... it's not even installed.
I have serious issues copying and pasting into the search fields. It's pissing me off.
- It seems to have gone away.
I cannot use gMPlayer as an audio player. For some reason, Frostwire will fork it multiple times and it'll predictably end up freezing after 5-10 seconds.
- I just run it manually.
- I have no clue where it keeps its incomplete files. Hrmph.
My previous issues with copying and pasting into the search fields seems to be fixed now. Yay.
(date not recorded) - 4.17 ∞
I eventually upgraded Frostwire a couple of times while using PCLinuxOS 2007.
(no issues noted for this version)
2007-03-18 - 4.13.1 ∞
Tools > Options > (escape) (escape) generates an error. Sad.
"You must choose a unique nickname before continuing" -- but HOW? Why not just prompt me to enter a fucking name?!
- Still cannot begin multiple searches - the earlier searches are silently discarded.
- I unsort the search list, and items are inserted in the middle instead of being appended to the end.
- If I highlight a few things on the downloads list, the highlighting shifts around in strange ways, highlighting other things as the list moves around.
Still has issues with forgetting the source for a download if I close the search window. Sad.
- Hey neat, it remembers my original search terms for items in the downloads list. Yay! So I can sort of easily-ish re-search for stuff.
- Always append # doesn't stop bugging me. I am prompted on every future set of downloads which has a filename collision.
If it starts up and notices that it doesn't have write permissions to its download folder, it asks you for a new one. If you fix the permissions and tell it to retry it will never work. You have to kill it and restart it for it to work. Sad.
issues fixed ∞
- can block multiple hosts
You must choose a unique nickname before continuing -- but I cannot see any options for the community chat crap. Plus, if I happen to have that highlight, I can never escape the options screen, it keeps kicking me back there until I highlight some other group of options.
- Somehow this went away on an installation of PCLinuxOS 2007-TR4.
[ + ]
|1.||^||That page may also have relevant notes.|