A hacker learns reality is not as it appears.
A pioneering movie for special effects, which have held up quite well, and its general pot and atmosphere. Technically not original for science fiction fans, but great nonetheless.
One of my favourites, although I really wish the actor playing Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) was good looking.
The Animatrix - (2003 movie) is a series of non-cannon animated short films.
- The website's password used to be
Nerds made https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page
- 1:30 -- Oh god this is high quality. This is so much better than DVD.
- 3:30 -- This scene is brought to you by the Nokia 8110.
- 5:00 -- Terrible copy-paste of her diving, and awful lighting.
- 7:30 -- Yes, some old monitors were like that. A wonderful crisp green text. This left enough of an impression that many terminal emulators have this as a colour scheme.
- 7:45 -- Is that an IBM Model M keyboard keyboard?
- 8:30 -- Adorable little mini optical disks that unfortunately never caught on.
- 9:15 -- Mescaline
- 9:45 -- Dragula - (1998 song), by Rob Zombie.
- 10:30 -- Trinity isn't a male handle..
- 13:15 -- This scene is brought to you by FedEx.
- .. with a spring-loaded action they should have released the actual phone with.
- 14:15 -- Morpheus' tone is so .. smug.
- 15:30 -- His lips are bright orange because of the green wash the whole movie got put through.
17:15 -- Oh! The multiple-TV thing is notable.
- It would have been interesting if the different TVs showed slightly different scenes.
- 20:30 -- Why did he look to his left if the other dude is to his right?
- 20:45 -- Oh, there is another guy to his left and in front of him..
- 25:00 -- How about "Jesus Christ that thing is real?!" .. followed by "Ow there's a hole in my gut!"
- 26:30 -- Alice is the main character in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - (1865 book), by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
- 27:30 -- "Splinter in your mind" has always felt like a familiar phrase.
- 29:15 -- His fake glasses from this point on look like complete shit. They looked like shit in the theatre and they look like shit now.
- 29:45 -- Even then, I wondered about taking both.
- See also The Wizard of Oz - (1939 movie)
- 34:30 -- Were there many adjoining chutes all leading to that particular reservoir?
- 35:00 -- Handy claw-thong.
- 38:00 -- See Nebuchadnezzar II (~634 - ~562 BC)
Mark III No 11
made in the usa/
- 38:45 -- Tank and Dozer don't look like brothers.
- 40:30 -- Brain in a jar
- 41:45 -- Artificial intelligence
- 42:30 -- I knew this was bullshit at a glance, and others have already torn this apart. The "combined with a form of fusion" was the hand-waive for this notion to make any semblance of sense.
- 43:15 -- Fed back to the living, like American's treat their chickens.
43:45 -- This scene is brought to you by Duracell.
- This was also the earlier "copper top" reference.
- 47:15 -- Zion
- 48:00 -- "Major bubra(?) shit."
48:15 -- Jujitsu = Jujutsu. Fucking Americans.
- 49:15 -- Kung Fu = Chinese martial arts
49:30 -- Actually the rules of a computer system can't be bent or broken. Perhaps he means the operating system security level?
- .. bugs and oversights at the compiler, firmware, BIOS, or architecture level are mad fun.
- 55:15 -- So presumably everyone left before they woke up. Were they having a nice chat inside their load screen before exiting?
- 1:00:15 -- EMP = Electromagnetic pulse
- 1:01:45 -- How can he be viewing the matrix if they're not connected to anything?
- 1:04:45 -- Actor
1:05:30 -- "Breakfast of Champions" is most closely associated with Wheaties
- 1:05:45 -- I don't know what "tasty wheat" is.
- 1:06:00 -- Tastes like chicken
- 1:14:15 -- Temet Nosce, means "know thyself" (know yourself).
- 1:18:00 -- I never had the impression that Mouse was unplugged.
- 1:18:15 -- A little nipple in a desperate attempt to make her attractive. An attempt that fails so utterly it's embarrassing. Like Trinity.
- 1:21:30 -- A wet wall is a shared space for plumbing, especially for plumbing accessing the same lines, like cold water and sewage.
- 1:27:00 -- Good thing his headset still works after he was blasted with a lightning bolt.
1:31:45 -- Mulpha and Norwich are fictional.
- 1:33:45 -- No, "all it takes is time" is nothing like breaking into a computer.
- 1:34:00 -- That makes no sense. Do they have a wireless connection? Why would their server be so important? Why would they only have one server.. for a whole city?
- 1:36:45 -- Well she does have nice eyes, I'll give her that. Well, nice eyeballs at least.
- 1:38:00 -- Develops a natural equilibrium? Boy is that not true. Humans haven't "developed" that equilibrium because we haven't finished consuming everything.
- 1:44:15 -- "Do not use lift if there is a fire." It's called an elevator .. they're not in England.
- 1:45:45 -- There are more than 41 floors in that building, and the extinguishers went off way up there.
1:47:30 -- B-212 = Bell 212
- .. maybe give them both the knowledge, just in case.
- 1:48:00 -- Or I guess Neo was given the knowledge to use that minigun.
- 1:50:15 -- MMI = Manufacturers Mutual Insurance
- 1:53:45 -- Fuck off with your romance and get out first.
- 1:55:30 -- The pre-broken pillar has always bothered me.
- 1:59:45 -- Mister Wizard is a reference to The Wizard of Oz, who was to get Dorothy out of Oz. See The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - (1900 book), by L. Frank Baum
- 2:04:45 -- Technically she just kissed a corpse.
- 2:07:00 -- That ship's not going to fly again. Certainly not before backup arrives.
2:07:45 -- .. plot twist: He doesn't love her back. Friendzoned by The One.
- 0:01:50 -- Way to be stealthy guys. Shine the light directly on the eyepiece.. so it'll light up the room. Sigh.
- 0:09:45 -- Dragula - (song), by Rob Zombie.
- When Morpheus is first met, the reflection in his glasses is is too perfect.. very obviously noticible to the point of being distracting. It should have been CG'd less noticibly. Later on, the reflection is more normal and the fine scratches can be seen in his shades.
- 0:12:15 -- Various side-effects of Genius are being cited: position on authority, ego, etc.
- 0:39:30 -- Morpheus' glasses don't reflect.. they're solid black. A little later on they start reflecting again.
- 0:43:35 -- Let's ignore the over-reflective glasses.. and say that this movie is brought to you by DURACELL. Duracell, for all your battery needs. Buy duracell now! On cell at the concession stands! Buy!
- 0:58:00 -- The crowd doesn't reflect in Morpheus' glasses.
- 1:12:15 -- God the changeover from the prop to the visual effect is pathetic. Again with the "too perfect" shine on the CG-work.
- 1:14:09 -- Temet Nosce, means "Know thyself".
- Mouse fires a lot of shots right at them, and hits nobody.. =/
- 1:30:50 -- Switching back to Neo and Trinity, she's not on the phone anymore. I'd be listening to figure out what was going on.
- 1:33:50 -- Call Zion, get them to change the codes, end of plotline.
- Big explosion.. which only travels horizontally. They were up the shaft, and would have been toasty as well. Yes yes, I know about claymores.. but that was a firebomb. Those go up too..
- 1:46:55 -- From being shot in the side of the head is a light red mist.. he falls and there's a tidy hole in his FOREHEAD.
- 1:50:55 -- The ledge of the building wobbles as his foot comes to it. Isn't it concrete? It looks like metal siding just a moment earlier.
- 1:55:23 -- The space which is about to explode towards the camera looks like it's built to do that. This is the classic cartoon issue when they have two separate palettes and artists working on the static background and actionable foreground items. Ugh.
- 2:03:48 -- The flooring which the laser is about to cut through already looks cut. =/ Good thing it was only visible for a moment..
- 2:06:25 -- That Neo-inside special effect is so awful. It was awful in the theatre and it's awful now. Ugh.
2:07:14 -- An EMP isn't very friendly to people either..
1:44:00 -- The commentary is going on about how they're only killing virual people. Which is bullshit because they already went over the fact that those are real people, and that death in the matrix is death in the real world. With demonstrations and everything. So someone who was working on the movie doesn't get that.. sad.
"Bullet time" is the official name for that effect, used to credit its crew.
"Fist bouquet" is the nickname of the multiple-arm effect in a number of shots.
Making "The Matrix" opens with a lot of self-congratulatory masturbation and may as well be some kind of drawn-out preview. Half way in they start showing some interesting stuff, but aren't really talking about how it's made. The video is bad, but probably the biggest annoyance is that the audio is AWFUL. Its quality is very very very low.. I guess they needed to squeeze that stuff into this DVD. =/