This is a list of things I ought to get around to reading.
- See also Chinese > Books for learning Chinese
- 1 Things to consider
- 2 Book-hunting
- 3 Bits
- 4 Inbox
- 5 Articles
- 6 Research notes
- 7 Regular Reading Recommendations
Things to consider ∞
- Remember that a book may have been released multiple times, so it may have different ISBN numbers.
Even if a book is out of print it may be purchasable or downloadable..
- As an audiobook, and some even with the author as the narrator!
- A PDF or other e-book.
Do not give up just because you have one small scrap of information. Write down anything you know about the subject and search for other keywords and perhaps you can find a hint somewhere in the world.
- See if you can find a list your item might be on. Maybe find a community and ask.
- Does the author have a website? That's a great place to start for information on getting a book.
- There are MANY ways to buy used books. There are online stores of them, there are real-world stores.. there are little clubs and other ways to request used books. Sometimes you can post a "wanted note" for a book.. you never know what would turn up!
Don't forget the real world! Libraries and book stores should not be discounted. Asking a real person about a book isn't out of the question.. you might turn up some good information, especially if the book is/was popular.
See Shopping for the common places.
- misc.books.technical Frequently Asked Questions
- How to build your Aikido book collection (archive)
- Library of Congress: https://catalog.loc.gov/
TODO - Other ideas: ∞
- library archives
Online reading / eBooks ∞
- Alternatives are listed there.
- The Textbook League had potential.
Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating. -- spiralofhope [ 1 ] wait, did I really found this quote? neato.
- Lucid dreaming has a bunch of articles which I've never read.
- Squashed Philosophers
- https://skepticalinquirer.org/ [ 2 ] was https://web.archive.org/web/20090729110843/http://www.csicop.org:80/si/online.html
- www.skepticsannotatedbible.com - Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon
Distributed Proofreaders provides a web-based method to ease the conversion of Public Domain books into e-books.
Unknown, by Dr. Nina L. Shapiro
- She is working on a book about hype in popular health advice (learned of this 2015-03-09)
- Brett H. McKay's wish list
- Harvard Classics
- Prometheus Award
- Science fiction Western
- Nebula Award for science fiction
To research ∞
I'm told these things have novels:
Ancient list ∞
labeled "later" ∞
Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox, "The Goal" (North River Press, Great Barrington, MA, 1984).
- Sortof like The Deadline - (1997 book), by Tom DeMarco in style, although a different topic.
- The Art of Demotivation ISBN 1892503409
- Carl Sagan:: The Demon Haunted World: Science as a candle in the dark ISBN 0345409469
The Syntax of American Sign Language ISBN 0262140675
- Shunryu Suzuki:: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind ISBN 0834800799
Other Stuff ∞
Stuff here may not have even been considered yet.. this is just a dump of stuff I should possibly take a look at.
Nutbar recommendations ∞
These items are suspect. The guy who I borrowed this list from is a nut!
2014 - /lit/'s Top 100 Books ∞
https://www.holysmoke.org/ -- a huge amount of stuff, oldschool and new.
- A skeptical site that looks at the facts about frauds, fakes, fools, and flim-flam.
Research notes ∞
[I don't know what book these notes were from..]
arthur conan doyle
1926 - the history of spiritualism
1922 - the coming of the faeries
1887 - R. Hodgeson - proceedings of the society for psychical research IV 381-404
1887 - R. Hodgeson - proceedings of the society for psychical research VIII 253-310
Alfred Russel Wallace
1927 - isis
1875 - on miracles and modern spiritualism: three essays
[archive.org alternatives exist]
1891 - journal of the society for psychical research, 5, 45. -- correspondence: mr. s.k. davey's experiments
1898 - the wonderful century: Its successes and its failures.
[archive.org alternatives exist]
1983 - p. thagard and r.e. nisbett -- philosophy of science
Richard E. Nisbett?
Regular Reading Recommendations ∞
- https://mindhacks.com/ -- A blog with demos and commentary on how to look inside your brain using neuroscience and psychology.
[ + ]
|1.||^||wait, did I really found this quote? neato.|