A free-to-play 2.5D action semi-rpg game. Get gear, assign your abilities, explore and kill. Procedurally-generated areas and special "maps" give end-game replayability.
While straightforward to get into, it becomes atonishingly complex and unashamedly hard. [ 1 ] Astonishingly is now a word. They are also committed to keeping the game "hardcore" and not stooping to the level of appeasing the filthy casuals who ruin other games. This includes not avoiding pay to win.
Its developers care about their game more than any other developer for any other game I've played or have even heard of. Other than the little things, the game gets major updates every three months. Major as in expansion-quality new stuff.
Their community participation is strong.
NOTE - It has been bought out by China.
- Path of Exile reviews 1
- Path of Exile item filters
- Path of Exile mechanics notes
- https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Path_of_Exile_related_websites [ 3 ] was https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/List_of_Path_of_Exile_related_websites
- https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Path_of_Exile_related_applications [ 4 ] was https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/List_of_Path_of_Exile_related_applications
PoEDB: Exile Chronicles -- All sorts of stuff.
- Some things are in Chinese.
- Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/
- YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/pathofexile
/global 820-- still good as of 2016-12-20
- The following are not confirmed:
- (normal) In-Game Chat:
- (normal) Trade Chat:
- (expansion) Sharing:
Notable people ∞
Pay to win ∞
1) Additional stash (bank) tabs can be purchased.
This allows one to store additional items which one could thereafter trade to earn the currency to purchase preferred gear for themselves. So they can exchange gear they don't want (via more tabs, for pay) for gear they do want (to win).
2) $1,000 donations let one work with the developers to create a new item.
They don't get whatever they want. They give ideas to the developers, who make the choice as to how to run with the idea and make sure it fits into the game.
The donator get a randomized version of that item. Such gear is neither a direct upgrade nor even the best example of that item (numbers are random). Also, building a kit with that item in mind can be very hard. This is a major part of the complexity of this game.
Builds, planning tools ∞
- Official passive skill tree planner
Builds, listings ∞
- https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Guide:Crafting [ 5 ] was https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Crafting [ 6 ] was https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Crafting
- https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Vendor_recipe_system [ 9 ] was https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system
- (See also The Exiled Sale Recipe Book, an ancient discovery thread)
- reddit thread
- This makes zero sense to me.
- old, but still useful
NOTE: Values can be easily gamed! Assholes list items, with no intent on selling them, in order to trick legitimate sellers into also posting their items for cheap. Those items are then bought by the assholes.
- Easier search of Path of Exile items
- Abandoned - As of 2021-08-10 its last release was 2016-03-04
acquisition, an inventory / selling tool which manages a forum shop.
Currency value trackers ∞
Technical / troubleshooting ∞
WinContig is a tool to defragment individual files or trees, and I used it to speed things up a bit.
- List of Client.exe command line arguments (parameters), launch options
- GGPK Defragmenter
- How to run a pack check
- Learn a character name by a forum username
--nopreloadto speed up startup -- The initial load time is pre-caching all of the data. This can be skipped, but this means that each new item must be loaded as your character comes across it, which can be very bad.