A free-to-play 2.5D action semi-rpg game. Get gear, assign your abilities, explore and kill. Procedurally-generated areas and special "maps" give end-game replayability.
While straightforward to get into, it becomes atonishingly complex and unashamedly hard. [ 1 ] Astonishingly is now a word. They are also committed to keeping the game "hardcore" and not stooping to the level of appeasing the filthy casuals who ruin other games. This includes not avoiding pay to win.
Its developers care about their game more than any other developer for any other game I've played or have even heard of. Other than the little things, the game gets major updates every three months. Major as in expansion-quality new stuff.
Their community participation is strong.
NOTE - It has been bought out by China.
- 2019-12-19 -- Played hardcore, did increasingly better across three characters, incredibly impossibly beefy, got mowed down under the best of circumstances. This game hasn't actually figured itself out yet. Maybe the "2.0" release will. I regret giving them money. Stopped playing again.
- 2019-12-12 -- I'm going to try again, explicitly playing with others.
2019-12-03 -- I played hard, but stopped because I realized that the game requires your either crafting or trading. No thanks.
- Downgrading from loved to liked.
2019-12-01 - 3.8.2 -- I'm playing a little more, mostly to catch up but also to have it installed for a future major "4.0" update.
- ziggyd.tv/loot-filter/ is no longer active, and he suggests https://www.filterblade.xyz/ which is kind of shit. Maybe I should make my own again, but it's annoying with all the additions and changes.
- 2018-02-27 -- Bestiary league - meh.
- 2016-12-24 -- I ended up killing this game really quickly, two more times. It's both too complex and unforgiving, making it impossible to experiment. I also don't want to play such games without a consistent guild, and I'm not going to look for one any more.
- 2016-06-01 -- I returned to the game.
- 2016-03-06 -- Frustrated by being disconnected during a labyrinth with no checkpoints, I am no longer playing this game. See Path of Exile review for my farewell.
- 2016-02-21 -- If you try this game out, please note that the very long initial startup is known and is not a bug as-such. However, there are solutions, see below.
- Path of Exile review
- Path of Exile item filters
- Path of Exile mechanics notes
PoEDB: Exile Chronicles -- All sorts of stuff.
- Some things are in Chinese.
- Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/
- YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/pathofexile
/global 820-- still good as of 2016-12-20
- The following are not confirmed:
- (normal) In-Game Chat:
- (normal) Trade Chat:
- (expansion) Sharing:
Notable people ∞
Builds, planning tools ∞
- Official passive skill tree planner
Builds, listings ∞
- (See also The Exiled Sale Recipe Book, an ancient discovery thread)
- reddit thread
- This makes zero sense to me.
- old, but still useful
NOTE: Values can be easily gamed! Assholes list items, with no intent on selling them, in order to trick legitimate sellers into also posting their items for cheap. Those items are then bought by the assholes.
acquisition, an inventory / selling tool which manages a forum shop. As of 2016-02-23 it's very beta and didn't even work for me.
Currency value trackers ∞
Technical / troubleshooting ∞
WinContig is a tool to defragment individual files or trees, and I used it to speed things up a bit.
- List of Client.exe command line arguments (parameters), launch options
- GGPK Defragmenter
- How to run a pack check
- Learn a character name by a forum username
--nopreloadto speed up startup -- The initial load time is pre-caching all of the data. This can be skipped, but this means that each new item must be loaded as your character comes across it, which can be very bad.
Pay to win ∞
1) Additional stash (bank) tabs can be purchased.
This allows one to store additional items which one could thereafter trade to earn the currency to purchase preferred gear for themselves. So they can exchange gear they don't want (via more tabs, for pay) for gear they do want (to win).
2) $1,000 donations let one work with the developers to create a new item.
They don't get whatever they want. They give ideas to the developers, who make the choice as to how to run with the idea and make sure it fits into the game.
The donator get a randomized version of that item. Such gear is neither a direct upgrade nor even the best example of that item (numbers are random). Also, building a kit with that item in mind can be very hard. This is a major part of the complexity of this game.
[ + ]
|1.||^||Astonishingly is now a word.|