TODO - Make a proper page
TODO - My notes are in deep archives.
A QWERTY clamshell palmtop which runs Linux.
- ~2010-01-24 -- This was replaced by my Pandora.
- ~2006-06-12 -- This mostly-replaced my Dell DJ Ditty.
- #2006-06-12 -- Received. This replaced my HP 200LX.
- See also /tag/zaurus-distributions. The Zaurus SL-C1000 comes an operating system that's unknown to me.
To get my Zaurus back in operating order, I did a lithium ion battery jumpstart.
- Zaurus development
- Zaurus tricks and tips
- Arch linux on the Zaurus SL-C1000
- Zaurus accessories
- Zaurus SL-C1000 hardware
- This has spectacular audio with Shure SE210 headphones.
vi has some configuration notes from the Zaurus (for vim).
- But for what version of the operating system / what distribution?
- ..I think the Qtopia one.
- 1 2006-06-12
- 2 Information
- 3 Community
- 4 Hardware
- 5 Software
- 6 Distributions
- 7 Development info
- 8 Links
- 9 Very old TODO list
- 10 ~2006-06-12
Finally, it seems that a long-standing chapter is coming closed. I've been keeping my eye out for a portable computer which is small enough to actually be portable and not luggable like a laptop and which can play games and music as well as significant general computing. I think I have found it in the Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000.
It'll arrive in a couple of days, complete with the necessary English-translation.
- CPU: 416 MHz Intel XScale PXA270
- RAM: 64 MB
Storage: 128 MB Flash ROM
- No HDD
Size: 124mm x 87mm by 25mm
- (4.9 inches wide, 3.4 inches tall, and 1.0 inch thick)
Weight: 278 g
- (9.8 ounces)
USB host port
- For keyboards, mice, USB sticks, etc.
Special bootup modes ∞
- Zaurus SL-C1000 alternate service menu (
- Zaurus SL-C1000 emergency console boot (
- Zaurus SL-C1000 flash updating (
- Zaurus SL-C1000 NAND backup or restore (from the service menu:
- Zaurus SL-C1000 ROM installation (
- Migrated to https://web.archive.org/web/20031008090840/http://www.zaurus.com/dev/board/
- Replaced by Zaurus.com's "Community" service
- community.zaurus.com, which is gone
- Needs MPlayer
keyhelper (.jap) -- Can be used outside of the Zaurus.
ipk repositories and feeds ∞
- hluc's list of zaurus distributions which has descriptions and screenshots.
- (Angstrom) http://wp.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom/
- (Ubuntu) https://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=ZaurusUbuntu
- (Android) https://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=ZaurusAndroid
Abandoned but possibly useful ∞
- SL-C3X00 only!
Abandoned and useless ∞
QuantumSTEP -- I think the zaurus part of this project is dead.
Development info ∞
- docs.zaurus.com mirror
- Unofficial FAQ
- There used to be a wiki at http://openzaurus.berlios.de
- Meanie's very nice review which includes accessories, applications and all kinds of notes.
Major resources ∞
- I don't know how active IRC is - irc.freenode.net --> #zaurus, #openzaurus, #openembedded
- There used to be http://web.archive.org/web/20050913201103/http://www.zaurususergroup.org:80/
Some old minor stuff at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/search?query=zaurus
Secondary Resources ∞
The official websites are generally useless since the good stuff is in Japanese and the English/US websites are garbage at worst and at best don't apply to the Japan-only models. =/ It also appears that the old websites are now being (badly) redirected to USA websites which themselves don't have the old content. So basically Sharp has abandoned all the developer networks and such. That sucks.
- tricks and tips
- about the service menus and original NAND files. Instructions on restoring the original file.
Very old TODO list ∞
- Qtopia - I don't know how to format a card.
- Programming, Ruby > Ruby on the Zaurus
Download and merge packages from https://web.archive.org/web/20100619012445/http://www.tyrannozaurus.com:80/feed/beta3/feed/.. there are new things there.
set up mrxvt to launch various things automatically...
mrxvt -vt#.e "command" mrxvt -vt0.e "nano /foo"
- for my launcher script
- cplay pops on track change! -- should be ok now..
- I don't think that vim has Ruby support built-in
research the other players for cplay.
- figure out sid support
learn how to customize the shoulder buttons..
- change them when launching cplay
The silkscreen keys can be customized in
- See .Xmodmap
- If you want to experiment with this, install patched Xfbdev by Meanie in
/usr/X11R6/binand uncomment the following lines...
- get nohup..
- get some neo geo games for gngeo.
get cubic player working.
- wrap up my scripting nicely
- make it all syncable and portable
port it all to the zaurus
- set some preferences
- back up my cards
- nuke my sd card
- backup via weex tools
- reinstall weex
perform a restore
summarize previous weex emails
check for weeex updates? How is this done?
- get the ruby standard docs here. ri doesn't know about Hash or other standard stuff.
ri -cis basically blank.
check out RPA
write up notes on a zaurus slim setup.
- button sizes
apps to check out:
- other text apps
- app reviews
additional pdaXrom software?
- Check for any recent updates. Regularly sync my archive (rsync?) to feeds...
- Find it
- I would have to do all the hotkeys differently somehow.
- I would need to figure out a panel. Maybe just keep rox?
- fbpanel? What about icons, and the menu..
- find it
get / implement a nice app launcher
- investigate a better filesystem for the sd cards!
how to i do an ls with size but nothing else?
- what about commas in the size?
- make an alias for it and pull it into shell-random
investigate how pclos runs DOSBox so nicely by letting me run 'dosbox app.exe' and intelligently setting things up.
nice -n -10 dosbox \ -c "mount c ./" \ -c "c:" \ -c "$1" \ -c "exit"
Figure out how I can set up a decent DOSBox environment with the path and default apps and such.
DOSBox -- Works, but slow?
- Set aside specific applications to try.
- Figure out the mapping of
- Test bunches of Oldschool stuff.
try to SSH / whatever in
- small box, check mplayer settings. Try Kino2
sfm Would have to be recompiled...
Kate and some other editors. -- check the repos
- Maybe just try medit, possibly leafpad/mousepad.
xkillshould be installed with a handy hotkey to summon it.
Pageupdoes not work to view previous content
- How do I switch virtual consoles?
- How do I switch virtual consoles from X?
- delete acts as backspace?
- some of the other keymapping is wrong.
endkeys seem to switch to the next console..
Console apps to try
- console file managers and application launchers?
MPlayer from the console!
- Other video players?
- Picture viewers?
- underclocking at the console?
- Links, graphical links
Gather my list of console apps
DOSBox works - and is much faster!
- audio - just not configured?
- function keys?
- other fn-key don't work
- the number 2 key does not work
- alt enter a couple of time will kill it
the / and . keys are muddled up and must be pressed once or twice,
otherwise I get double-keys.
DOSBox works from within x quite nicely, and the mouse works but somehow isn't working well.. the mouseable area is small and the alignment is off!!
I paid $400 CAD for it.
It was the best shipping experience I've ever had.
It got stopped at the border, but the phonecalls from custom were very fast and friendly. FedEx redirected the package to my work and were very good about delivering at a specific time. When they missed me, I was able to pick it up at the nearby depot that same day.
Customs didn't send me any weird bill afterwards, so there were no hidden shipping fees.. everything went great, and really quickly too!